• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rattle noise. worse when warm

Starlight

Hey guys, been searching the threads here and nothing that sounds like "my noise" yet. 1986 M1008. Starts up a bit harder this year and a bit of white smoke .That clears and all is well. After driving for a bit you will hear something similar to plastic rattling . I thought is was the grill since it was cracked in a couple of areas, that proved not to be the case. The truck is in Nova Scotia CA. I don't trust but one guy to work on it and he's ill. He mentioned the injector pump ready to be replaced. Does this make any noise when it's failing ? Many thanks, Capt.T/ Palm Beach Troop Support

OuttaTheWayPECK

very true about the air filter top. There's that perfect tightened down spot. too loose my ride makes noise, too tight and the same. I found a perfect area not too tight and not too loose. resolved that noise from engine bay. nice one Snow.

cucvrus

I am thinking along the line of a starter support bracket. Maybe missing a bolt/nut or just loose. Also the starter heat shield may be involved. Check it out and report back. If you find the starter bracket was loose I would replace the starter bolts as a precaution. About $10. Beats the pants off of getting a broken one out of the block or changing a flywheel/flexplate/ring gear. Also check the vacuum pump against the air cleaner lid or fire wall. I thought maybe loose throttle pedal also. Shooting in the dark. Report your findings. Good Luck.

Starlight

Thanks guys, I've been through all of those since it sure as **** sounded like those. I searched for anything loose at all. The thing is, is after running for a while it gets worse. Starts out not making this rattle noise. Oil is clean also. Question, will there be any noise at all when the IP is starting to go . Starts are harder than usual and I get a little bit of white smoke now . Only on start up . Thanks again, Capt. T

snowtrac nome

Makes me wonder about timing chain. You should shoot a video and post it so we can maybe hear the noise. Usually when the pump goes bad, it happens right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad motor mounts?

snowtrac nome

muffler and heat shield are things to also look at again video time the ip would be the last thing I would look at if it were making noise the quill shaft would likely break first. I have seen db2's break the shaft just from running out of fuel. a good way to find it is with a cheap craftsman automotive stethoscope.

Chaski

If it is harder to start, and is blowing smoke on startup it is probably one of three things... 1) A glow plug issue. 2) A compression issue. 3) A fuel injection problem.

That combined with it being more noticeable when warm would lead me to an injector issue, espicially if it changes under load. If it does not turn out to be something easy you could pull all the injectors and send them in to be tested at a fuel injection shop. If an injector has a sticking or broken nozzle it will cause hard starting on that cylinder because it just drips fuel in instead of spraying it. Fuel can leak into the cylinder and cause all sorts of bad things and noises that can sound like a knock or tick.

That is my $.02 about my wild guess.

Starlight

Hey, good stuff guys . I'll be back up there in June. She sits in Nova Scotia for the winter. Fuel is treated and have a block warmer I use for the first day. This truck is mostly original since I bought it 8 years ago. I replaced all rubber, mounts, exhaust ,tires and anything that would be dated from 86. She's been great and hauls around a bunch of kids. I just don't trust anyone up there to work on her. I'll dive back in when I return. Without me sending any video of the sounds . The best I can say it sounds like is when plastic is rattling . One again I was sure it was a loose plastic grill . The slower startup may just be a different issue. The white smoke may be from the slow start up itself ? It's temporary and goes away quickly. Thanks again guys, t

snowtrac nome

one thing to think about if the timing is retarded you will get a whitish blue smoke other than something wearing in the ip the only other way this could happen is a timing chain. just something to think about also one or 2 bad glow plugs will cause it to start a little hard and smoke a light blue . other wise if your smoke comes out white like steam I would worry about a head gasket.

Starlight

Thanks guys. You all know we have a troop support organization down here in south Fla. I'm building a clone CUCV dually crew GMC. Love to find some troop seats for this if anyone knows of any. Thanks again for all the suggestions on the M1008, Capt.T