• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rausch Creek Battle Damage Report

Opie

I've hit two snags post-offroading and would like to submit them for comment/criticism.

My major issue is the heating system. Following my EMT and nursing training, I've been told to trust what I see first, and then the instruments. That said, coming home from the trail ride, my truck was warmed up without external signs of boiling over (coolant outside of the radiator on the engine or the overflow drain). No drop in coolant level was noted, either. The temp gague was reading 220 and the radiator and hoses were warm/hot to the touch. :( Running to the event the temp was registering around 200. A new thermostat had been recently installed, and I have a new coolant temperature sensor to install. Coolant was a brownish color with some brownish rubbery chunky stuff found in the radiator cap. The radiator system was treated with the caustic cleanser and refilled with the proper diesel coolant (I'd previously apparently used automotive coolant in error.) Back on the road, temp again rose to 220 and stayed there. No cold weather front or other radiator blocking device was used.

I expect I need to change the sensor, get the truck up to this operating temp and sample the coolant with a candy thermometer to see if the coolant is indeed that temperature (while being sure not to be scalded). I'll also want to install a coolant filter (and that darn cab heater which is still in the box...).

Of lesser concern is that both of my headlights (new halogen ones a la CGarbee) have lost power at the bulbs (Checked by No.2 Diesel's brother Rob, an electrician). Is there a wiring trouble spot between the 3 lever switch and the front of the truck?

Any thoughts (or flames for trying to destroy my truck...) will be welcomed.

Opie/Peter

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
there is a circuit breaker inside the switch. i wonder if the new bulbs draw too much current. it will reset itself but takes a couple of minutes.

No.2Diesel

My Steel Soldiers Rausch Creek Military Vehicle Rally (SSRCMVR) Battle damage report:

Front wheel scraped by large rock when descending 45° slope on the powerline trail. Will have to prime and paint.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow I really thought that coolant flush would do the trick. It is possible that there could be error with the gauge. Hoses will be warm/hot to the touch when in normal operating temps too.

Also, Maybe the jarring and bouncing around offroad dislodged a "coolant nugget" that blocked an internal passageway near the sending unit creating a false reading.

Get someone to put a multi-meter on that three-way switch. No power was getting to the lights so it could be the switch. Rule out grounding problems.

I hope these problems may be rectified easily.

While your at it: replace all of your other filters! Those things were pretty gross. :p

Good luck

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Steel Soldiers Rausch Creek Military Vehicle Rally (SSRCMVR) Battle damage report:

Lost 6 beers due to offroad maneuvers, in the bed of the deuce.
Bouncing over the trail on Friday I got a weggie.

and, the temperature gauge seems to have fixed itself and now reads 170 degrees like it should. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks