• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rausch Creek MV Rally 08!!-Oct.10,11,12

rhinomike

RE: Re: Rausch Creek MV Rally 08!! - Oct. 10,11,12

I'll be there, saw everyone last year, I jeep and rockcreawl at rousch. It is a great place lot's of trails, take with you what you need, no stores very close, 15min or more to closest mini mart. When all the MV trucks rolled in last year the whole place just stopped and stared, it was cool.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter

We definitely need guys there with smaller MVs, too! The 5-tons and deuces are great, but cannot fit on the literally MILES of trails there, and must stick to the larger sections. A smaller MV like a jeep or a CUCV would be right at home.

No.2Diesel

Hello, event update:

-I'm posting maps of the trail system to illustrate just how much there is to see and do throughout the park. Our innaugral event just scratched the surface in terms of the amount of trails ridden. The "East Property" is where the main entrance, camping, and office are located. The "South" and "West" properties are contiguous with access through the existing trail system.

-Looking at the maps.......everything up to and including a 215" wheelbase 5ton can negotiate all of the fat and thin green trails without fear of cosmetic damage. Maybe this year we could venture to the rock quarry etc. If we have a larger group we coud split up into groups and rendesvous for lunch at a predetermined meeting point.

-Yes.....smaller MVs wanted this year. We could use some trail scouts.

-We are also working on a Saturday afternoon/evening convoy from the park to and through nearby Fort Indiantown Gap and then off to dinner. Last years evening cruise was fun!

It's May already!!! Only four more months!!! The days, weeks, and months are ticking away so get on those maintenance issues and do your PM ASAP. (I just did a whole front axle service before last years event and one of the cheapo thin boots already has a wound in it :? .)

P.S. Everyone knows "Where's Waldo?" Look at the photo below from last year for "Where's Opie?" :wink:

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Small update: The park's new office hours are 0800-1800hrs.

Thats good news. Previously any group wanting to wheel that day would have had to check in by 1000. This allows the Convoy Serials to have looser scheduling and any individuals not convoying, can arrive throughout the day. [thumbzup]

M37Dodge

I hope to have my M37ww join in too.

I'm in Elizabethtown, PA - just South of Harrisburg on the East shore. I could link up with the convoy comming North on I83 from York, PA.

I need to fix my rear differential - it burned up on way to Letterkenny PA Depot to pick up my M101A1. My t/c and rear differential got rust pitting on the bearings from water contamination while it was a brush fire truck. They seemed ok while driving around town and plowing for a few years. However, driving 55mph for 40 minutes was too much for them (11.00 x 16 tires keeps rpms down).

If anyone has an extra WC M37/PW/1-ton Pilot House/Job Rated 9 5/8 diff for sale/trade - especially if local, let me know.

Also, how secure is the camp site? (Do you leave your stuff in the trucks while on the trails?) What about availability of water, elect, and toilets?

Thanks.
-Drew M.

scooter01922

Thanks for the reminder bump M37, Any updates on the rally??? How bout the convoy routes??? I really want to make the haul in the deuce but it would be a much more enjoyable 6-7 hour ride if i met up with the convoy.

FormerNewMVGuy

Well No2diesel and his brother come in from long island, you could meet them at 287 interchange. or back at the I 95 interchange on I78, they met me last year at the T/A truckstop in bloomsbury NJ On I 78, and Im sure this year will be no different!~ Im lookin forward to it myself.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

M37Dodge: Welcome to the Site! and thank you for your interest. During my first visit last year I observed a warm friendly atmosphere among all those who visited the park. As people went wheeling for the day they left all of their trailers open with tools everywhere. I was surprised to say the least as someone who locks everything up by habit. When we had our wheel cylinder mishap last year, strangers volunteered their tools and welder generator. The park staff also keep a stock of tools, welder and spare parts on hand. The Staff and fellow wheelers are extremely nice.

So.... I would keep my stuff secure but I don't think you'll have to worry too much about theft/vandalism.

Hey Scooter: Your about a 400miles & 7hr.+ ride away. I give you alot of credit to even fathom such a trip :p But it is worth it. It beats hanging around a parking lot in Aberdeen :)

As for convoy routes and rendesvous points; they will be similar to last year's. If multiple members from New England would like to attend, you can choose a meeting place in NewEngland at a location of your convenience. From there the main Rendeszvous for attendees originating from the Northeast would be the Vince Lombardi Restop on I95 (JerseyTpke)

For more info please refer to last years thread: RC Convoy Info I will soon start a thread for 08'

General camping info:

-Free camping
-Portacrappers
-No running water
-Bring out what you brought in

No.2Diesel

So.....

Who's bringin' what? :D

I will supply :beer: as well as firewood. It would be very helpful if everyone with a Deuce/5ton cargo reserved some space in their beds for firewood. We would have more than enough for cooking etc. for the entire weekend.

We still need someone to volunteer a heavy iron cooking grate.

Thanks again....

FormerNewMVGuy

wish i had a heavy iron cooking grate, If i find something between now and then i will bring it, Thinking about bringing my M105a2 as well, I might be able to gather up some camp wood, have a couple of downed poplars back in the woods.
Im thinking about just putting the cover on the trailer to use for sleeping in and leaving the bows and canvas off my truck, so i can sneak through the trails easier.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can bring the following items:

Camp stove
10x30 white pavilion for shelter
firewood (have lots of split oak and oak beams that I can live without)
towbar (just in case)
2 folding tables
chowbox (if it's not sold at Gilbert PA)
military radios for commo/entertainment (you'd be surprised what's on shortwave late PM from overseas)

Might also bring a M332 ammo trailer to park at a campsite, so we can "claim" a campsite and not have to move every night.

JohnFire

So far as long as my schedule doesn't get changed too much I should be able to make it if not for all of the days I can make one of them. I will be bringing my M1009

scooter01922

I'm really hoping i can get some of the SS northern new england contingent to convoy out there with me, HINT, HINT :roll: guys in the northeast.......gimme a yell. I know your out there. Even by myself i'm sure i can make it the 3-4 hours west and meet up with somebody somewhere out by the PA line. I would meet up with the convoy in NJ but then i would be heading several hours south only to head northwest to the rally.

No.2Diesel

Sounds good John, I look forward to seeing one of your CUCVs.

Actually Scooter, You wouldn't be going out of your way at all. If there are any NE'rs attending you would meet us just outside NYC and then we take I-78 all the way out. Its only about 20 minutes North on I-81 after that. Review last years Convoy info thread.

If you could convince, threaten, or kidnap some guys up by you that would be great. :p Good luck trying.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in this, but last year we did the convoy/meetup on Friday morning, arriving at RC around noon. I might be interested in going a day earlier, arriving on Thursday. Would be able to get more offroading time in, get set up earlier, etc.

Would anyone be interested in making this a Thursday-Sunday event, rather than only Friday-Sunday?

M37Dodge

Me - Fri-Sunday is best

I just got a set of replacment rears for my truck, so it will be road-ready again this weekend and have spare axle shafts :)

As far as dates, Thursday is bad for me.
I'm bringing the family - wife and 8 year old son (who thinks M35's & 5-tons are so much cooler than my puny M37ww and is bomb-proof once he falls asleep) . It is tough for the misses to take off from work as she just got the job. She is a good sport and puts up w/ my MV stuff usually - although, she is not into canoeing in heavy rain or camping in 30 degree weather anymore, but neither am I :)

However, if I was driving a long distance, I would want a longer event to setup camp and relax a bit before running trails. I doubt starting a day sooner would not hurt the event - plus less people running trails on Thurs. It would also let you put out a call for items/parts from folks coming Friday (especially locals like me) if you find something is needed after you arrive at the park on Thursday.

docthrush

RE: Me - Fri-Sunday is best

Just a side not. Was up there this past weekend helping with the werock event and there are a bunch of the park staff and regulars to the park that are looking forward to seeing all the mil vehicles up there!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks