• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re: Optima Battery Woes

FloridaAKM

Re: Optima Battery Woes

I got an unpleasant surprise a few days ago. Preparing to take the Deuce to work, when turning on the main power switch....no air buzzer & the Ebrake lite was very dim, plus the voltage gauge was very low. It was then that I notice that the lighting switch was on to power the brake lights. The truck is checked every few weeks to see if the battery is up & I attempt to charge the batteries after charging the LMTV batteries as a PM to eliminate the dead battery syndrome. I would not leave any switches on as a matter of forced habit, one $285.00 battery broke me of that in a genset! I do have a nosey neighbor who likes to fool with things that don't belong to him! Both batteries were recharged separately over a two day period to the point that they would not accept any more charging. The truck did start & got a 45 minute drive to try & top off the batteries. This afternoon after work, I get to see if the batteries are toast or will recover. The batteries came with the truck 2 1/2 years ago from the military. What are my chances of recovered batteries, 50/50, 25/75? Your thoughts on AGM batteries......:-(

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you working with a deuce or LMTV? Optima or Hawker AGMs? On a deuce (6x6), leaving the light switch on service stop will not drain the batteries.

FloridaAKM

The LMTV has the original 6TL Hawker batteries & are not a problem. The Deuce has Optima Red Top batteries & that is the truck I am working on, it has never caused me any problems @ all. If the light switch on service stop won't kill the batteries, what would do that so fast to two batteries?

Al Capone

I had optima batterie in every vehicle I own . Got a real good deal on them years ago . They did not last any longer than wall mart batteries . They all died within couple months right at about 5 years . I still have two blue tops that were never used much I had for camper but they got installed in my dodge diesel now to replace dead red tops. So yes they good still cause never got run down bunch of times . I still have a yellow top in my jeep pushing 6 years old and I have winch on it that gets used off and on . I will buy another yellow Top for jeep when it dies mainky due to winch draw . Sounds like your red tops are dead . I tried and tried to charge mine at the end . Even with agm charger . Nope

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I quit using Optima batteries about 6 - 7 years ago; several battery dealers told me that once Optima switched production to Mexico, failure rates & warranty claims on Optima products skyrocketed. One dealer showed me a rack of dozens of new Optimas that were awaiting return under warranty claims. I used to use them exclusively before then, but not afterwards.

If you belong to Costco or Sam's Club, look at purchasing standard batteries there using your membership discount; your savings will be worth it.

infidel got me

Maybe nothing drew them down. I have replaced 3 automotive batterys in customer cars just this week alone. With this extreme heat we have had this week its taking a toll on em. Just a thought. The heat seems to push a marginal battery over the edge-- and some people as well. LOL

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I quit using Optima batteries about 6 - 7 years ago; several battery dealers told me that once Optima switched production to Mexico, failure rates & warranty claims on Optima products skyrocketed. One dealer showed me a rack of dozens of new Optimas that were awaiting return under warranty claims. I used to use them exclusively before then, but not afterwards.

If you belong to Costco or Sam's Club, look at purchasing standard batteries there using your membership discount; your savings will be worth it.
This is true. I have had no luck with newer Optima batteries although have some 14 and 15 year old ones that are still going strong. I now get Duracell AGM batteries at Sams. Seem to hold up so far. I have a AGM charger (read expensive) that does well on restoring them, but some are too far gone to help.

brian s

I got an unpleasant surprise a few days ago. Preparing to take the Deuce to work, when turning on the main power switch....no air buzzer & the Ebrake lite was very dim, plus the voltage gauge was very low. It was then that I notice that the lighting switch was on to power the brake lights. The truck is checked every few weeks to see if the battery is up & I attempt to charge the batteries after charging the LMTV batteries as a PM to eliminate the dead battery syndrome. I would not leave any switches on as a matter of forced habit, one $285.00 battery broke me of that in a genset! I do have a nosey neighbor who likes to fool with things that don't belong to him! Both batteries were recharged separately over a two day period to the point that they would not accept any more charging. The truck did start & got a 45 minute drive to try & top off the batteries. This afternoon after work, I get to see if the batteries are toast or will recover. The batteries came with the truck 2 1/2 years ago from the military. What are my chances of recovered batteries, 50/50, 25/75? Your thoughts on AGM batteries......:-(
Optimage batteries have to be changed different than a standard battery. I know that because optima batteries (a division of Johnson controls ) was one of our sponsors on are race cars.

rustystud

The problem with Optima batteries is the top connecting bridge. It will break due to corrosion overtime and then not charge or anything else. We had the "Odyssey" training representative come out and give a class on their batteries once and they told us all the "secrets" of the other battery manufactures. Actually "Odyssey" batteries came from Optima originally. At least several of their engineers and executives did. Optima did fix this problem in most of their line and was in the process of fixing all the other batteries. Also AGM batteries "must" be charged and maintained with AGM battery chargers.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1999 Optima red top that spent 2 weeks underwater in brackish conditions, then 2 years in storage. Still fires my old farm truck up everytime. Got a deal on two right after the Mexico switch over, and they lasted no time at all, couple of years.

If they aren't that old, your chances are less than if they are real old.

I sold a lot of AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries over the years, but then, that was a lot of years ago when I owned my speed shop. One of the positives about the batteries (no pun intended, really!) was that unlike a conventional wet cell battery, an AGM could be discharged to zero and still be charged back to full capacity, using the correct AGM charger of course. Another interesting but arcane fact, we could determine if the battery was defective or bad by weighing it. Old age and too much rum means I don't remember if it would be heavier or lighter, but the difference between a good and bad AGM was about 1/2 lb.

FloridaAKM

The batteries take a full (maybe) charge, or @ least till the charger turns off when it senses the batteries are charged. The truck starts a little slower than normal, so I really don't trust the batteries anymore. I'll let them set a week & try again to start the truck & see what gives. It looks like a trip to Interstate Batteries is in my future to pick up a set of group 27 blems to replace the Optima batteries. The Interstate replacement will cost probably $125.00 OTD for both batteries & I will use the Optima for the farm truck! Thanks for all the answers & tips you guys put forth!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locate an Interstate battery distribution warehouse. I buy blem batteries here for $50 each, they are new with cosmetic damage 9 times out of 10.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have abondoned all my conventional chargers in favor of NOCO Genius chargers. They seem to be pretty darned good and have modes for AGM batts.

FloridaAKM

I buy batteries for our company @ the local Interstate warehouse, so there will be no problem. They even said to bring old dead batteries for a rebate on each dead battery! I must have @ least 10 sitting around the property!
Locate an Interstate battery distribution warehouse. I buy blem batteries here for $50 each, they are new with cosmetic damage 9 times out of 10.

rustystud

The batteries take a full (maybe) charge, or @ least till the charger turns off when it senses the batteries are charged. The truck starts a little slower than normal, so I really don't trust the batteries anymore. I'll let them set a week & try again to start the truck & see what gives. It looks like a trip to Interstate Batteries is in my future to pick up a set of group 27 blems to replace the Optima batteries. The Interstate replacement will cost probably $125.00 OTD for both batteries & I will use the Optima for the farm truck! Thanks for all the answers & tips you guys put forth!

I used to buy the Interstate Battery Blems all the time ! My buddy owns a gas station in Seattle and used to get them for me. The problem is he went away from Interstate Batteries and now no more Blems for me ! :cry:

I wouldn't focus just on Interstate, there are a lot of large battery distribution centers around the country. I use an 8D start battery for my diesel, as well as 6 smaller house batteries and I've purchased a lot of batteries over the years for race cars, trailers and marine applications. Locally I use Powerstride, but I'm sure there are other similar large distribution warehouses around the country. They have large distribution centers around the country, so there may be one near you. Companies like Powerstride usually service the commercial and wholesales industries where large volume purchases are the norm so their pricing is very aggressive, they may even carry cosmetic bless, but anyone can walk in and buy a battery or batteries. They carry a multitude of brands, including Optima.

I've priced many batteries over the years and when I was looking to replace my 8D, they were substantially cheaper than every battery source, including Interstate. They were even cheaper than the marine suppliers I buy wholesale from, plus they delivered the battery to my boat and picked up my old one for free. You might check your area for commercial wholesale battery suppliers like Powerstride and see what you find. Remember, as big as Interstate is, they're mainly a supplier to shops, garages and parts stores. A true large volume battery wholesaler sells more batteries in a day to fleet and government accounts than a local Interstate dealer will in a month or more. I was an Interstate battery retailer for years, and they were a great company to deal with. Volume wise though, even my pricing couldn't match what I can now buy from my local wholesaler. You might try that as an option, or at least price them for comparison.