• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re power ideas

stanky johanson

So i have a wild idea of repowering my truck this winter. My plan is to swap my 1995 7.3l powerstroke and a zfx6 manual trans into my deuce. If i go through with this i will be converting the whole truck to 12v, and adding a hydro boost brake system from a f450.

Just wanted some input on this idea, every one and their brother dose a 5.9 swap, some time you have to take a new path on an idea.

Other plans are to remove the fuel tank, battery and tool box from under the cab, and relocate them to a battery box in the bed, and a 50 gallon fuel cell in the bed. A hard top, roll cage, and super singles are in order too.

tim292stro

Are you considering a tool-box fuel tank? You can put some group 31's inside the tool box and 50+ gallons in the fuel tank part... Just 50 gallons?

I think the first reason I am doing a Cummins is the simplicity of the engine - K.I.S.S. The P7100 "p-pump" is actually a muti-fuel pump (has a fuel density mechanism), so it'll run DFA, DF1, DF2, and JP8 with no modifications - just need to drop in some two-cycle oil if you're running anything but DF1/2 to keep the lubricity up.

The other reason is the adaptability of the flywheel housing - you can get GM, Ford, Chrysler, SAE3-SAE1 flywheel housings and they just bolt on. This makes the engine very easy to adapt to any transmission.

I'd be interested to see your conversion. Keep this thread rolling! :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure of the width of the 7.3, but the folks that have done 3208 swaps had issues with steering box clearance.

stanky johanson

Well, i have a parts list,

BW s366 turbo
full force diesel stage 2 injectors
6.0l stock inter cooler
power hungry performance chip
6637 intake.

FYI i am now taking donations. lol

JasonS

Why not a DT360 or DT466? At least those are the same form factor.

I am not a big fan of the 6.9/ 7.3L. I don't believe that history would be as kind to them if not for the 6.0 and 6.4 being such turds.

HETvet

I second the DT 360 (5.9 straight 6, but a wet sleeve design) DT466 (7.6 liter straight 6 wet sleeve) swap. The 7.3 suffers from a HPOP that is used to fire the injectors. The 7.3 was originally an International engine any how.

tim292stro

When you said chip my heart sank. The whole point of these trucks is to stay manual not computerized. Not interested in just dropping in an LDS?
Yes, and there are probably hundreds or people who just keep it mechanical - I'm certain you recognize that this is the modification forum, I for one am interested in what he can and will do to this truck. It's kind of like when some one turns a deuce into a rat rod - sure it won't make sense at a military vehicle trail ride, but it sure looks cool :).

4.jpg

If he's up for the challenge of dropping in an engine and transmission combo he feels comfortable with, more power to him.

Why not a DT360 or DT466?...
I second the DT 360 (5.9 straight 6, but a wet sleeve design) DT466 (7.6 liter straight 6 wet sleeve) swap...
Yeah, I like those and the 6BT/4BT just because they are mechanically "simple" but he didn't want to do what everyone else is doing...

Last edited:

stanky johanson

after pushing my last 7.3l to 790k before the truck rusted in half, i think she will hold up to my driving style. I was thinking about a Dt 466, but after having somany issues with the block heaters that i have seen im going to pass. The truck is going to be off road only after this swap.

the reason for not using a lds is the physical limits of the motor.

Yea. Im picking that fight to start lol

stanky johanson

I second the DT 360 (5.9 straight 6, but a wet sleeve design) DT466 (7.6 liter straight 6 wet sleeve) swap. The 7.3 suffers from a HPOP that is used to fire the injectors. The 7.3 was originally an International engine any how.
The 7.3l, is hpop, so are most models of the dt466.

Build any thing right and it will last.

stanky johanson

after pushing my last 7.3l to 790k before the truck rusted in half, i think she will hold up to my driving style. I was thinking about a Dt 466, but after having somany issues with the block heaters that i have seen im going to pass. The truck is going to be off road only after this swap.

the reason for not using a lds is the physical limits of the motor.

Yea. Im picking that fight to start lol