• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-Powering The Deuce With A 5-Ton LDS-465-1A Engine

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
What a great post! I hope to make some of the improvements to my duece and M52 when I get out of the Army and have some time on my hands. Till then I get really edumacated by these great posts and the hard work you all have put into your trucks. I really like the Jane Fanatzi sticker on your truck. Thanks for posting all the pictures and great ideas.

SasquatchSanta

Oops --- I made a mistake. I was reading through some past posts last night and realized I had quoted the wrong micron ratings for jatonka's spin on filters:

On page four I wrote:

Having said all of this, if I lived in a warmer climate I'd be tempted skip the pre-lube pump and go with Jatonka's anti-drain back spin on filters and a good remote by-pass filter OR a remote main filter AND bypass filter. As I understand it, Jatonka's system (which I almost bought) doesn't drain back and therefore gives quick (3 to 5 second) oil pressure. The disadvantage (once again, as I understand it) is the 25 micron factor. A good remote bypass filter would solve that problem. In warmer climates, that might be a whole heck of a lot simpler and less costly solution.
Jatonka's filters are available in 13 micron which only reenforces my simpler solution theory.

SasquatchSanta

Sunday 11 May 08

I'm starting to drive "Rosie" more though I've still only got a little over 400 miles on the new motor and have yet to do an accurate mileage check.

Today I drove to Virginia Minnesota, about an 84 mile round trip. I'm afraid to say too much for fear I'll tempt fate and something will go wrong but I'm amazed about how well the new LDS engine runs.

I try not to let the RPMs go over 2,200 which is about 58 MPH. Even at 24,00 which is my self imposed max, it hums along like a Greyhound bus but at 2,000 to 2,200, with the dual mufflers it's surprisingly quiet.

There is one hill that I have to go over that used to seriously tax the old LDT engine. I approached it today at 2,000 RPM and held the throttle steady and it held the RPM without giving it more fuel. With performance like that, given the price of fuel it, makes me wonder if I shouldn't turn down the fuel one flat. Nahhh!

It had been smoking because I've been driving around local but today, by the time I got about 30 miles into the trip the smoke had cleared up. With the second drivers side stack I can see the exhaust trails in the drivers side mirror. Unless I really showered down on it, the smoke trail was gone.

When I left home the fuel gauge was pointing straight up on half full. When I got back it was half way between half and quarter full. Soooo --- If I can trust the fuel gauge (they say never to trust a government fuel gauge) I'm getting around 12+ MPG. If that's the case I'm a happy camper.

I love my Multi.

jesusgatos

I'm getting more and more interested in these LDS engines. My truck and trailer combo will weigh-in at over 20,000lbs (empty) and my LDT engine runs strong, but... it's tempting. Can the LDT engines be rebuilt to LDS-spec, or is it actually a similar-but-entirely-different engine altogether? I've read everything I could find by searching, and found some conflicting information. I'm also wondering what kind of money LDS engines are selling for.

SasquatchSanta

If memory serves me properly, the LDS engine has different pistons than the LDT --- It has to do with oil cooling. I believe the cam and injectors are also different. The pump, heads, intake and exhaust manifold are the same --- the pump is turned up. The LDS sonds different than the LDT.

rwelker

I repowered my Deuce dump with a LDS engine about 2 years ago. Much better torque; hangs in on the hills much better. As for the differences, I think (I have not confirmed this) the pistons, cam, pump, injectors, and valve rockers (different ratio) are different. Of course not to leave out the reversed oil pan and different oil pickup. The only way to tell for sure would be to sit down with part #s and compare. If rebuilding a LDT engine, as long as you have a HD block, it could be done. One easy way would be to research the differences, have a good "core" LDS and then combine the two to make a LDS engine. I installed a rebuilt unit. A word to the wise on NOS rebuild units. Assume nothing; check everything. My rebuilt unit had nuts/bolts missing/loose and fasteners not up to torque specs. I went over the whole engine and replaced the rear oil seal (mine had been rebuilt years before) prior to install. Ended up about a year later replacing head gaskets. No coolant leak but the typical oil leak. Turns out it had the old style head gaskets in it. Now it seems fine. One thing about going over them before install is that you know what you have after it's in. No wondering if someone else put it together years ago while suffering Monday hangover or Friday rush syndrome. Rick

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was lucky enough to have a friend that sold an M52A2 to a guy for the axles. I was the recipient of the LDS engine complete with the power steering pump. The sacrificer did retain the air compressor and the gated turbo. It was a GSA truck and ran when parked. I've not taken the time to ground hop it yet, I did put it in a can for safe keeping. I'm torn on putting it in my 20,000# M108 or putting it in my cargo truck as a hot rodder. The cargo sees much more road mileage.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Kenny, my LDS handles the 5ton wrecker pretty good. I know alot of guys want the 250, but its good enough for me. The LDS in the m35a2c is just a dream. I can't say enough good about them. Now I need to get that M109 converted to LDS and I'll be a happy camper. Glad I got my motor before this thread got popular!

jatonka

The Lds in my deuce cargo dump is unbelievably more powerful and low RPM torque than any deuce I have ever driven. We work this truck hard and it begs for more. I am collecting 5 ton multis now for the future. JT out

Kaiser1963

Hey Guy,s
i just found out for myself last week , i will replace my lds 427-2 because off cracked pistons,head and a leaking liner .
to match the lds 4651a you need the oil tubes of an ldt .
i was trying to replace the the intyre pump to get the short tubes in the deep front sump but i must have a early 427-2 , iT Has a different pump with tube hook up and also different size idler gear ! That systeem does not match .
to get iT working good i have to get the ldt tubes i found out .
engine nr lds 427-2 is 9944
so be prepaired if you also may have lds 427-2 and do engine swap .

gr Bert

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks