• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-seal extravaganza...so far so good but need tips...

Asmoday

So I started the big tear down today. I have set aside a few days to do the work. I will be fixing some leaks as well as replacing the water pump and installing a new Fluidyne damper. The radiator will hopefully get re-cored if possible. If it can't be re-cored then I will have to bite the bullet and get a new one as it was leaking quite bad.

Everything seems to be going well so far and I'm thankful to have this forum as well as the electronic PDF versions of all the TM's to help me.

Help with a couple of questions would be appreciated....

1) Something tells me it's going to be difficult to get at the injector pump nuts that hold it to the back of the timing cover. Any advice on how to easily get them off and back on? And how in the world would you torque them with a torque wrench? It looks like the driver's side nut is the hardest to get at.
Special socket maybe? A trick that's maybe so obvious that I can't see it?...:?

2) Where is a good place to source the metal clips that snap on the bottom support for the radiator. The bolts for the fan shroud screw into them and both of mine on the bottom were so badly rusted that they disintegrated when I applied force to remove the shroud bolts.

3) Can I just use Viton or Fluorosilicone O-rings on the oil cooler lines that go into the radiator as my dealer won't have the GM items for a week and I have some Mil-Spec ones available to me.

4) Best way to get pulley/ fan clutch studs out of old water pump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I forgot how much work it is to work on cars all day long...LOL. I am tired...!

Below is a pic of the engine bay at the end of today. Tomorrow I will take off the damper, water pump and timing cover and clean clean clean. I have already cleaned up both the water pump pulley and the crank pulley. The crank pulley had some seriously hard dried mud filling half of it...

Attachments

Last edited:

Asmoday

I'm not so worried about the water pump. That looks very straightforward. It's getting the timing cover off that looks like it's gonna be a bit nasty...:(

Asmoday

Found the clips and have the O-rings....:)

Studs are out of the water pump fan flange...!

Wish me luck...!

It appears a new rear seal will be in order soon...Oh well...LOL.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks