• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Re-Wiring horn?

M1009 Fiend

I know that i have a horn next to the light of the drivers side head light, but it doesn't work.
Would it be worth the time to try and re-wire/connect the horn?
Has anybody done this?

This was just an idea that hit me while thinking about making my glow plug manually operated.

jimm1009

That make your horn ADAC compliant! ;)

The relay can be bad and is a really cheap fix at almost any puto parts store.
The ground can be bad due to rust on the plate under the button on the steering wheel and also the contact with spring can be an issue too.
Perhaps try plugging a volt meeter into the power wire for the horn or a 12v bulb if you don't have a volt meter.
Ground at the horn is another major fault for being inop as well as the horn itself. You can remove the horn and wire it directy to the battery to see if it doew work as well. Use the front battery or another car or truck as you only want to test it with 12 volts.
I put the GM dual horns on mine since the CUCV only has one and it sounds
"less than Manly".
Civy units have tow horns, one high pitch and one low pitch and this makes it
better to be heard by. :p

jimm1009

Wolf.Dose

I once had to replace the horn on my former M1009. I bought a German standard horn and after installing it did not work. I cut out the capacitor which is installed in the harness just before the horn and... it was making the appropriate noise. May be US horns are designed a little bit different than European horns and the sound level requirements are different, but for our European understanding, US electric horns do not produce the propper sound power level.
Wolf

3dubs

My horn did not work either. So I took the path of deep thought and internal reflection... I just got a can of contact cleaner and cleaned all the connections. Now it works. I did the same thing to make my windshield wipers work too.

ChevyFan1207

The police department who had mine after the Army had horn trouble. They mounted a button on the metal bracket on the dash. It's funny during the day, but it's annoying when drunk passengers honk it at night.

Last edited: