• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

READ before you pay sales tax out of state on vehicles

denelec06

Last year I purchased a truck out of NV. When I finally completed my application for title I was told I needed to pay sales tax. BUT I already payed the sales tax in NV, you will still pay tax here also. My state does not reciprocate taxes paid in any other state. So I payed tax again. Do your home work before you pay GL tax on vehicles. I contacted GL they tell me that I did not complete the correct paper work. After I sent them the NRS's and NRC's for the state of NV (the tax law). The reply from GL;

Thank you for your email. Government Liquidation was not advised by you that you would be registering the truck in another state and that it would be removed within 15 days. Although you are located outside of Nevada, that doesn't mean that the vehicle would be registered in another state. We did not and have not received a copy of the Special Movement Permit nor the Notarized Affidavit of Purchaser as prescribed in NRS 372.7263.1 and NAC 372.708.1(a) and (b). No Bill of Lading has been supplied to show the vehicle was shipped out of state.
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]I told them the truck would be moved out of state, they said we don't care you still pay sales tax, when I purchased the truck. I talked to NV tax department and was told it was the responsibility of the seller to provide the correct paper work and know the laws of the state.[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica Neue, Segoe UI, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]. GL will not answer my email, I have offered to send them my receipt where I paid sales tax in my state. NV state tax department said GL has 3 years to amend taxes. GL is wrong and they know this and should refund the taxes. SO KNOW THE TAX LAWS IN YOUR STATE AND THE STATE YOU PURCHASE IN. DO NOT TRUST GL TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH. I am certain that there are MANY of you guys that have paid tax incorrectly. DO YOUR HOME WORK. Any one know how to get GL to answer an email? [/FONT]

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you knew the rules for the tax issues, you could have(before the auction ended) filled out a tax form on GL to avoid the issue.

denelec06

If you knew the rules for the tax issues, you could have(before the auction ended) filled out a tax form on GL to avoid the issue.
doghead you are a genius. That is exactly what I said in my post. What tax form are you talking about? I searched all of GL and the required TAX form (which it is not) is not on the GL. I am not in the resale business. Hey but thanks for the informative reply.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would use the live chat line on the GL site for the correct info.

I have purchased from a state that does not reciprocate with my state(tax wise) and they(GL live chat) emailed me the correct form to file prior to my auction ending.

Your very welcome.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All too frequently we get members here posting that GL did this or that or didn't do this or that but when it comes to the details it is almost always the fault of the purchaser and not GL. Don't get your feelings hurt if someone points out to you that you should do your homework before the sale and not after.

I finally got one titled in OH that I purchased in 2008 and paid the taxes on. The lady looked at it and said yes, you already paid the taxes and you don't need to pay them again. I fully expected to have to pay them again and knew it was my fault if I did.

goldneagle

Maybe you should start a pole to see how many members title their MV in the state they bought the MV VS the state they actually live in. SO why does GL assume we will title the truck in a non-resident state instead of the state we live in?

Gunzy

All vehicles I have purchased from GL have been in my state of residence. There has been 2 reasons I do this, first is the tax issue, and second is I can recover with out $2-3k in shipping. I am aware not everyone has this option but if you do you may want to bid accordingly.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you should start a pole to see how many members title their MV in the state they bought the MV VS the state they actually live in. SO why does GL assume we will title the truck in a non-resident state instead of the state we live in?
It is the purchessers responsibility to provide Gl with the proper information on where they will title it , not GL's job to guess.Many states require GL to collect sales tax unless proper forms are on file.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many states do accept that sales tax was paid elsewhere.

Usually they adjust for the tax rate.

It is not GL's job to inform you of the law or advise you how to purchase. They will help you when you ask.

Ignorance of the law, is no excuse.

goldneagle

Many states do accept that sales tax was paid elsewhere.

Usually they adjust for the tax rate.

It is not GL's job to inform you of the law or advise you how to purchase. They will help you when you ask.

Ignorance of the law, is no excuse.
With all the crazy laws in the books on the Federal, State and local level I would bet your are in violation of at least one of them and don't even know it. It's been discussed on Fox news and other news organizations before. I bet even lawyers are not aware of every law out there.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They accept it when it is paid somewhere else when there is agreed reciprocity. It's not illegal. It's just an agreement between two entities. I bought a truck in Indiana and paid Indiana taxes. In NY taxes were 1 1/2 % higher so I had to pay the difference. Then they go to Indiana and recover the rest.

goldneagle

They accept it when it is paid somewhere else when there is agreed reciprocity. It's not illegal. It's just an agreement between two entities. I bought a truck in Indiana and paid Indiana taxes. In NY taxes were 1 1/2 % higher so I had to pay the difference. Then they go to Indiana and recover the rest.
Same here. I bought some trucks in Mississippi and they charged 5% tax. I had to pay Louisiana the additional 3.75% once i proved I already paid the MS tax. BTW in the Paid in Full Invoice it states the Code and tax paid. That is the document you need to send LA DMV as proof of tax paid. It is not in the documents that come with the SF-97 form. Also LA DMV will refund your MS tax if they taxed you for the whole 8.75%. Just send them the paid in full invoice and registration of the truck in question. I ended up getting over $150 in refunds.

denelec06

All good points. Point #1 was to forewarn people that are new to this game to be aware and to do some research on the tax laws before they purchase IF they wish to save money and DO NOT RELY on GL to provide you with all the necessary information. Point #2 was that I talked to GL on the phone, and gave every detail, before the invoice was paid, I was told that the taxes would be reciprocated in my state and not to worry about it. There was no discussion about any forms or documents to complete upon purchase or transporting. When ever I have purchased a vehicle from out of state I have never had to wonder if the dealer was completing the necessary documents, it was done and never had a problem with taxes. GL Nevada does not have to know the laws of every state only the laws of their state, that clearly state that if a vehicle is to shipped out of state to a resident of another state, SIMPLY complete the 2 documents and ZERO TAX!! It is called caring about your fellow man. I asked several questions on SS before I made the purchase and paid the invoice, I was not warned of the tax implications. NOT saying I should have been, BUT if I read about a person SS or any other making an out of state purchase, I will share my experience with them. I just hope that all members that are not expert MV purchasers will read and learn a lesson that I paid for. Point #3 GL should do the right thing. Now that GL is aware of the situation, of course they have the option to do nothing OR they could do what is right simply let me provide them with the required documents and refund the taxes. I have not heard anything in 2 weeks. Lesson learned the hard way, certainly are retained. MAIN point, hope this will help someone along the way especially in these trying economic times.