• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ready Welder

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like only one person posted that he has used it, and for sheet metal. I would like to know about it overall. I have a small mig and would probably use this for thick steel.

Heath_h49008

If you already have a small wire welder, you have a machine that's better than this. The benefit of the ReadyWelder is portability, not quality of the bead or the thickness of the metal you can weld. I would be very surprised if it would weld anything the cheapest 110 wire rig couldn't.

My welding instructor was pretty impressed with the inverter welders. His opinion was "It's all about the power supply and duty cycle... the rest is just sales gimmicks." Inverters have the best power you can get.

I want a machine to get me into spray-arc something fierce. But right now, it just isn't in the budget. (and if Santa is listening... a Tig machine, and a laser table.)

Have you considered a good old Lincoln "Tombstone" for the heavy stuff? They are about the best bang for the buck you're gonna find for doing steel in medium thicknesses.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I have my doubts about it on thick steel. The way the website sounds it will weld anything but the crack of dawn.

I also wonder, even if it will weld thick steel ok, if your batteries or deuce charging system will be able to hold up.

Heath_h49008

Personally, I have my doubts about it on thick steel. The way the website sounds it will weld anything but the crack of dawn.

I also wonder, even if it will weld thick steel ok, if your batteries or deuce charging system will be able to hold up.

I'm certain if you're good enough, and willing to make enough passes, you could weld a battleship with a Harbor Freight flux gun. :)

(I think that's what the Chinese are trying with their new Aircraft Carrier.)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a 275A buzz box but its ac only. I also have a Lincoln 3200hd 110v mig. The small size of the ready welder is what is attractive and I could use it with the deuce's slave cable plug if needed.

Heath_h49008

In that situation where you can't reach any other welder... yes. I could see the readywelder as justified.

But only for sheetmetal.

If you have to weld suspension/frame/rim/plate or anything thicker than about 3/16, I would say you were better off with a DC stick weld running off the batteries and using a 6010/6011 rod for thicker material, and 6013 for thinner sheet.

You have a solution looking for a problem.

Of course, it's your money and that Readywelder looks a whole lot better to haul out and use than an old stinger and a couple of cables! (But I would keep those welding rods and stinger handy for the thick stuff anyway. 2cents)

If you get it, I would love to see the beads she throws. Keep us in the loop either way!

robert c neth

Banned
we use a 110 mig and a lincon welder ,they also work well with our 5500 watt generator .we can weld anywhere we want but they are a little bulky.getting home is what counts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks