• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REAL Basics

BruceB

This forum, "The Deuce", has over 750 pages of threads. I recently bought a bobbed Deuce (which I have not yet even SEEN), and in the absence of experience with the truck I set out to read the entire 700-plus pages from oldest to newest. I'm now up to page 580, and have yet to see any info on a very basic question (or two).

In my Canadian Army service I drove the Canadian-built Deuce, but they had automatic transmissions and single wheels on the rear axles. .....and it was about fifty years ago! That limited history is surely not much use to me now.

The question: Are these trucks full-time all-wheel-drive? I see references to the two-speed transfer case, but NO mention of a setting that only drives the rear wheels. I've had a goodly number of 4WD trucks over the last forty years or so, including the NP205-equipped GMCs which were full-time AWD....they had a "locked" and "unlocked" capability in the transfer cases, and no 2WD setting at all. Is the Deuce somewhat similar in concept?

I'm finding this tour through the back threads (all the way to 2004) to be a very valuable learning experience, and it's helping a great deal to prepare me for the arrival of my' new' (1971) beast. Thanks to all for the excellent discussions and information posted here at SS.

B

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, they are not full time (in your case) 4-wheel drive. You will either have a sprag or air-shift front axle.

Welcome to the club.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The air shift will have a toggle switch below the dash almost in the center of the dash.

BruceB

Thanks for the replies.

I put this thread here because the basic transfer-case system of my bobbed Deuce will still be the same as that of an unaltered truck (1971 M35A2), and there's much wider exposure here.

So, my understanding is that a sprag-equipped case will automatically direct power to the front axle when it senses slippage....is this correct? No input from the driver?

I'll be able to ask better-informed questions once the truck is sitting in front of me. Until then, muchas gracias for bearing with this greenhorn.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quote "I've had a goodly number of 4WD trucks over the last forty years or so, including the NP205-equipped GMCs which were full-time AWD....they had a "locked" and "unlocked" capability in the transfer cases, and no 2WD setting at all. Is the Deuce somewhat similar in concept?"

NP 205's are gear to gear transfercases with 2 high , 4 high and 4 low . The full-time transfercase your refering to
is most likely the chain driven NP 203

Srjeeper

Reading the TM's also help, go here:

JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

This is very good advice and a good site to keep in mind when you need parts or accessories.

Start your library with the Operators Manual TM 9-2320-361-10 then read the Maint. Manual TM 9-2320-361-20 and if ya still can't sleep, there's the Tech. Manual 9-2320-361-34.

You'll still have some questions but at least you'll also have a better understanding of the answer.

2cents

waayfast

Welcome to the madness from SAlmon River Country and yes you have it correct---if yours is equipped with the sprague it senses back wheels slipping then engages the front axle. Also important-- if it is a sprague-- DON'T let the truck roll backwards when in a forward gear OR roll forward while in reverse with the clutch in. You may hear a very loud BANG and then you will get to go to work :(.

Look for a switch under the dash---if it has an air operated transfer, you get to control it by that air switch. Much better system. Have fun with the new ride and make room ---you WILL have more than one!

TexAndy

Are you sure they weren't the older Korean war era deuce? That had an automatic transmission.

Or did the Canadians refit M35s with automatic transmissions?

Stan Leschert

The truck that he drove was likely the M135, which is almost like the M211. The only difference would be our trucks had singled out wheels, and fender wells in the bed (better for carrying troops, worse for cargo). Tranny was a 4 spd automatic (Hydra-matic) coupled to a 302 GMC Gaspot. Sprag transfer case, no need to train people how to flip a switch and lock in the front axle.