• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Real quick question, M923 fuel filter

BrianM2004

Anyone know the NAPA part number for the OEM style or equivalent fuel filter replacement. I have been searching the boards and google and can't seem to find an answer.

Thanks all

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nhc250 = Napa 3401 or wix 33401

part numbers easy to find on the goggle docs spreadsheet on the 5 ton forum "sticky" at the top of the page.

BrianM2004

nhc250 = Napa 3401 or wix 33401

part numbers easy to find on the goggle docs spreadsheet on the 5 ton forum "sticky" at the top of the page.
Found the sticky and downloaded the spreadsheet. Thanks for the pointer, I missed the obvious.... Hopefully this will resolve the fuel issue. I picked up 3 of the trucks and moved them already, I have 2 more to get home and both have starting issues. Both had dry tanks, after 10 gallons of fuel was added we primed the motors, both engines turn over strong and run shortly on a gas rag over the intake but wont stay running. I think it may be a clogged filter or line, as we arent getting much fuel to drain from the auxillary valve near the tank when priming. Starting solenoids are fine, glow plugs are heating and air as well as exaust are unobstructed so it must be fuel delivery. Next time Ill buy one 5 ton at a time instead of 5 all at once.... Nothing but a huge headache so far.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are Bit%ch to prime. Had to go through that once. I filled the line with fuel and cranked and cranked till she fired. The hand pump is useless even after I rebuilt it with new o-rings.

Don't know if it is supposed to push or pull but I never got a drop out of it. There is a question in my mind if the bleeder needs to be open or closed while pumping.

many threads on priming in the 5 ton forum. Some problems noted with fuel pick ups in the tank, canister not sealed tight, cracked and aged rubber fuel lines, and plastic vents etc........

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'm assuming your talking about the 8.3 Cummins and not the 250 (you mentioned priming and the 8.3 has a priming pump just below the spin on filter). We picked up two M925's the other day and one of them had a filter issue on the way home (ended up flat towing it home).
These trucks were prone to fuel filter problems due to some of the fuel tanks being coated inside with a fuel soluble coating (that was genuis) that would gunk up filters at an alarming rate. I'm also assuming that you are filling the filter with fuel before you start priming.
To address the gunky fuel tank issue you need to drain the tank (plug on bottom) and clean it out (take the fuel strainer out and reach in and sop all of the gunk out with clean rags until the bottom of the tank is clean). The tank has a baffle in it so you can only wipe out the front part but it gets a lot of crud out. Park the truck on a slight incline leaning to the fuel tank side. Remove the pickup tube to make sure it is clean (blow air into it from the fuel filter side) and then reinstall making sure you have no air leaks in the lines.
Hope this helps.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you read the sticky, referenced in this thread?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did a search for M923 oil filter number, and there it was, second thread result, plain as day.

worsethenu

Hey guys, im new diesels so please forgive. I changed the fuel filter on my 923a2 and found the pump, but where is the bleed screw? The truck will run for a fraction of a second with starter fluid but immediately dies.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you have to open the bleeder to prime and the bleeder on the 250 is on a short line at the primer pump. Just look at the back of the primer pump and you will see it between the pump and block.

worsethenu

thanks for the reply. I managed to find the manual and the bleeder and have been pumping on the primer for what feels like ever. Unfortunately, I have yet to get anything to come out. I'm not sure what I should do now?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, what is a 'sticky'?
A "sticky" thread is one that is placed permanently at the top of a forum / category. Even if no one posts in it, it will still show up on the first page. This is often done for special announcements, rules / guidelines, and FAQs.

jw4x4

I found a great price on fuel filters for the 939's with the 250 Cummins. They were about $15 cheaper than any other filter. Made by Hastings. Part # FF 939. Go figure, fuel filter for a 939 and that's the part #.

blackpowerwagon

I am also new here and to diesel engines. Just this weekend my M923A2 with 8.3 stalled out and would not start. I was just under 1/4 tank. I have read that if the gas tank screen is clogged the truck will use a bypass causing air to be sucked into the engine around 1/4 tank of gas. Is this true with the 8.3 as it is with other trucks?
I have also downloaded the m939 manual but see differences to my truck. I also am currently trying to prime the fuel line myself. I am a little thrown off by the manual. If I were to guess, I need to push the red button in the pic while the fuel filter water separator is opened up. Is this correct?
null_zps91359e80.jpg

dilligaf13

Yes to the red button for priming. If I remember correctly the bolt highlighted is 8mm and when opened facilitates priming. Only half to one turn should do it on bolt. Too much and it falls out.

Attachments

cde3mobile

The Wix 33401 is $33.85 on Amazon, and with Prime there is free shipping. Thanks for the Part Numbers.

I have an 83' M923 Has a stalling Problem when it accelerates quickly like a double pump on the Throttle. It always starts back up immediately. I am guessing a partially clogged Fuel filter? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Zadvark

I have the correct filter number but neither the parts spreadsheet nor my google-fu can come up with the fuel filter canister gasket. Reference TM 9-2320-272-23-2, item 8, page 0258-5. Any help would be appreciated and we can have the answer tagged on the spreadsheet.

When I open the lower petcock (item 6), nothing comes out. My plan is to replace that at the same time. I'm going to assume it's a standard size?

Apologies from the rookie. Little did I know that the O-rings come with the filter from Napa. I'll leave this here for the next person asking the same questions.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks