• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reality check rear universal joint

stuinnh

I have a clunk when I change gear and release clutch that I did not have before. Seems to be from the rear of the jeep. I put jeep up on jacks and when I turn the rear tire back and forth I hear clunk at rear of back drive shaft, and I can see drive shaft jumping around when I turn wheel back and forth. Am I missing anything?

Wile E. Coyote

Axle-shaft universals are problematic on those things, and any bit of slack exacerbates the problem because it delivers a shock-load to those u-joints when you let the clutch out and the drivetrain "takes up the slack" before delivering a nice jolt to your wheels. One problem is spline wear at the wheel itself. The shock will always exploit the weakest link in the chain, and on the M151 series that weak-link the rear axle shaft u-joints - usually the outboard ones.

One complete spare axle shaft with nicely greased u-joints is an imperative running spare with those vehicles on trips because you will trash them. Some people like to start off in second gear with a trailer att'd too, which...well...isn't clever...and is really hard on the axle shafts if your u-joints are beginning to wear. The grease gun is your best friend with the M151.

Don't quote me on this but I think NAPA #20060 is the correct replacement u-joint for the M151 axles, or just support your local hobby vendor and get them from Frank's or TNJ Murray or FLMV or someone similar. You have to watch when you're matching them because some have the right overall dimensions etc. but the retaining clips are either outboard or in the wrong spot entirely. I came across someone's replacement job years ago whose solution was to get an off-the-shelf Chev type u-joint, install it, then weld washers on the outside of the shaft to keep the u-joint caps from walking out.

(No doubt the possessor of a Technical Diploma from Farmer-U, Class of '23 - "whatcha can't fix on them thar military veeeHICles with a welder and a can of orange tractor paint just ain't worth fixin'!")

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks