• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REALLLLLLLLY NEW GUY TO M880'S QUESTION

maciago

Sorry to post such basic questions (and as like most forums I will get kicked in the teeth for not reading some hidden FAQ section) but I need some help. I picked up a 1972 w200 just as a hauler. Then I did some research and found out quite a bit about the truck and I am looking to restore it (not ground up).

The plate under the hood says it is a 1972 Dodge W200 with a 318 and a 4 speed stick. The guy that sold it to me said it was a 360 so I am assuming he was wrong.

I have three questions:

I am trying to figure out what front end / axle I have as the passenger 4X4 hub is locked. I am referring to where you spin it to place it in 4X4 or free wheel.

I would like to know where everyone gets parts for these vehicles save Summit Racing and the junkyard. Is there a network.

What tires does everyone recommend. I glanced at the rotted tires and saw 16's but I have read there are 16.5's on these trucks.

Thank you in advance for your help. I put a couple photos attached to see my before and after so far.

ida34

RE: REALLLLLLLLY NEW GUY TO M880

Probably a dana 44 on front. I had a 75 with 16.5 but someone may have switched rims to use the more available 16 inch. I don't think they put dana 60's on the W200 but I could be wrong. Pics would help with the identification but I am pretty sure it will be a dana 44HD

maciago

Rims look stock to the other photos I have seen on these trucks. If Im looking at a rebuild of this hub to get the 4X4 active does anyone know where I can get the parts for this on the cheap?

maciago

I think you mean 4 legged. That was the RCMP and frankly the truck is worth about as much as what they deposited on the groung. But hey, thanks for all that insight.

Elwenil

It sounds like a civilian model W200 3/4 ton pickup. If so, it most likely has a Dana 44 front axle that is part time 4WD. Should have a NP435 4 speed and a divorced NP205 transfer case. The rear should be a Dana 60. The front D44 is a typical axle found in most light duty Dodge trucks from 72-74 and 81-84. The 75-80 models were mostly full time 4WD with the odd small bolt pattern. The axle you have is vastly more desirable to the full time axle. The only downside is the axle is most likely has drum brakes. If you have a damaged hub and/or spindle it would be a good time to hit the junkyard for a 81-93 model disc brake setup. Check out RamchargerCentral.com for more info on civilian Dodges.

maciago

THANK YOU so much. That is the kind of info I was looking for. It does have drums. Any tips on where to look for spindle and hubs besides junkyard? I have called around here in Tucson and have had no luck. I salvaged a bed and that was about it... Also, tips on tires?

Elwenil

Well, it ordinarily isn't hard to find a junkyard with this sort of stuff in it around here but from what I gather, big junkyards around large cities seem to only carry late model stuff. Most yards can get on a locator and find what you need but you may have a little better luck finding a yard in "the boonies" so to speak and get the stuff for a more reasonable price. I know you will need everything from the spindle out, including the axle stub shaft, but you ight as well grab the whole axle shaft and keep the inner as a spare. Unless you are getting the parts off a 85-93 D44, which will have the CAD axle disconnect and you will not want the two piece right side shaft.

As far as tires, you should be able to run 33's with no problems in most situations. I ran 35x14 Boggers on my '74 W200 with only a little rubbing on the steering box at full right turn but they honesly only measured a little over 34" since Interco lies about their sizes. They were horrible tires anyway and I'll never own another set. My personal preference would be a set of 33" BF Goodrich Radials in either the all terrain pattern or mud terrain. :wink: