• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear axel placement on bobber

Ma Duce

when figuring out the placement of the rear axel on a bobbed project, i wouls assume, that if you use a trailer bed, you try to get it lined up witht he wheel well from the trailer.

However, if you are going to cut down the bed, what do most guys do? do you just drop the rear axel so as not to have to get the drive shaft lengthened? or do you split the differance between the stock location of the axels for the new location?

Do guys prefer to use the foward rear axel or the rear one?

just trying to work out the issues ahead of getting ready for a build -- winter project.

camoyj7

Your axle placement will depend one how much you cut down your bed. The cheapest way would be to leave the front axle and remove the rear one so you wouldn't have to mod. the driveshaft.

Ma Duce

I've seen most of the threads. But i wasn'tzure what most guys did. I don't care for the look of the trailerbeds. So I plan on cutting down the bed. Until I get the truck in front of me and a tape in my ha d to see what looks about right, i think its gonna be tuff to tell. But it was talk of a bobber project on the 1919a4.com board that got my attention and kicked off the idea.

Been talking with the mechanics and guys in the fab shop i work with, and they are all giddy about it and the other one I have on the drawing board. 3 if you include a duck truck.

My union has a big car show over the 4th of July weekend and I want to have it done for that. A ring mount would be like icing on the cake since I have 3 1919s.

The guys in the fab shop and I were kicking around a way to have quick change beds. Go from a dropside to a mechanics box to a high side dump, just by pulling a couple of pins.

But that is down the road. Right now, its just about getting a truck and making a nice camo run about out of one.

plym49

I have wondered why you could not split the stock rear suspension in half. Cut the spring so that you have a quarter elliptic. The thick section remains clamped in place, and the front is the same slipper. The torsion rods locate the axle. Done (theoretically) is there a flaw in this approach?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks