• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear axle.. always seem to be favoring driver side

HN6

Hello folks! At first I thought I was seeing things now I am sure.. each time I park my 6x the rear axles are always a good 4 inches to the drivers side. al hard to tell when I am driving if I changes. Normal? No big deal? Any thoughts? I have had a few friends behind me while on the road saying it looks like it is wandering.

I figure it is normal, but thought I would ask.

I have replaced everything except trunnion bearings. I did look at them when rebuilding axles and installing all new bushings.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I can't give you exact dimensions, there needs to be space for the axles to twist around the spring so movement from side to side is normal. Looking at the truck from the rear, you will see the little box shaped area where the leaf spring rides. The leaf spring stays flat in there, during off camber articulation, that box rotates around the spring. Probably not wording it right but that's what happens.

Reactions: HN6

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Deuce, when turning, shifts the axles perhaps 1 inch or less. It is just visible as some tread offset between the two neighbouring tires. Definitely not 8 inches!
The TM speaks of "rigid" axle mounting but there better be some flexibility or stuff breaks. The spring pockets themselves provide about 1/4 inch lateral space to the spring pack.
Excessive lateral movement is seen when the trunnion bushings (spring pack bearings/bushings) are worn or loose.

Gringeltaube wrote a post explaining things.: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/rear-axle-alignment.43408/#post-483971

At 8 inches lateral travel, how can you keep the truck in a straight line when doing even 30 mph on a bumpy road? That rear end shift must be scary!

Last edited:

fasttruck

Trunion bearings could be an issue as they have grease points which everyone neglects to grease. As noted in post 2, if the seats the springs bear on are worn, that could contribute to the effect. On civi trucks bearing wear is a biggie on Hendrickson walking beam suspensions. Some operators let them go until the inside tires on the tandem are rubbing on the frame. If detected by hungry DOTs this will result in instant out of service violation and you get to tow the truck home.

HN6

My Deuce, when turning, shifts the axles perhaps 1 inch or less. It is just visible as some tread offset between the two neighbouring tires. Definitely not 8 inches!
The TM speaks of "rigid" axle mounting but there better be some flexibility or stuff breaks. The spring pockets themselves provide about 1/4 inch lateral space to the spring pack.
Excessive lateral movement is seen when the trunnion bushings (spring pack bearings/bushings) are worn or loose.

Gringeltaube wrote a post explaining things.: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/rear-axle-alignment.43408/#post-483971

At 8 inches lateral travel, how can you keep the truck in a straight line when doing even 30 mph on a bumpy road? That rear end shift must be scary!
Thanks for the link. I did hit a nice bumpy ice hole yesterday at about 45mph and it definitely made me slow to about 38. The real hard deal is trying to decipher my new truck handling characteristics during the frozen winter road conditions.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Seek original specifications and put Her back to that and enjoy for another 30 years.
Some work these trucks HARD. Beware known faults. Repair & drive Happy.
Many have written, lots of threads, about suspension failed, Do Not wait 'till it fails.
See all the wonderful insight and how to fix stuff from many humans in SS..........
Like rustystud and Gringeltaube and OTHERS
The photos and videos and comments, how to do's and much more do exist within Steel Soldiers.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, 10-4 HN6, you are concerned about steer axle vs. rear axle offset.

I misread that as forrward rear to rear rear axle differences.

The front axle should have no side-to-side movement. Need to check U bolts, spring perches etc.
I suggest lining the truck up straight on asphalt or concrete surface (lay a 2x4 or conduit etc. down to see that the wheels all track or are offset) and then doing a slow, tight turn to one side and measure again. Straighten out, turn the other way and measure again.
Perhaps that helps in determining where the movement is coming from!

Are your rear hubs flipped? Asking because then all 3 tires on one side track at the same width.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks