• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Axle Bearings

Jimma

I need to replace my rear axle bearings in my deuce. I have been checking prices today and they are all over place. Does anyone know of a supplier that sells them reasonably? I am going to replace the inner and outers on my bobbed duece.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are you buying?
Those are not specific but std commercial parts: Cup (x2) = #3920; inner cone = #3994; outer cone = #392. The #3994 may not be that common, nevertheless they should be available online and/or at parts stores selling good brand bearings like Timken, SKF, NTN, etc. Avoid "cheap-chin" bearings!

G.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think the OP is asking where the most reasonable price would be found, not just where the bearings could be found.

I agree that high quality bearings can be expensive. The '55 M38A1 that clintogf and I had needed all the front wheel bearings (some douchebag drove it in water and mud and never serviced it, thus ruining them) and they were over $200 for 4 Timken races and bearings.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thats why i dont go in deep water. i'd rather drive it than pack wheel bearings that need service just because i wanted to go in deep water.... the work-to-fun ratio seems a little skewed too far for me. :cookoo:

nk14zp

Where are you buying?
Those are not specific but std commercial parts: Cup (x2) = #3920; inner cone = #3994; outer cone = #392. The #3994 may not be that common, nevertheless they should be available online and/or at parts stores selling good brand bearings like Timken, SKF, NTN, etc. Avoid "cheap-chin" bearings!

G.
:ditto: What ever you do don't get ones made in china to save a few bucks.

Jimma

The reason I am replacing them is that when Oddshot and I were flipping my hubs this week on my bobbed truck we noticed some of the bearings appeared to be scored or marred up, and looked imperfect and kind of rolled roughly or irregularly. At this point it is a preventative meassure being that I hate to put the new inner and outer axle seals in, put those heavy 395's back on to find out we were correct and the bearings are going bad and have to disassemble everything. So, that being said we did not re mount the tires and wheels and I am going to put new bearings in it and then put things back together.

Jimma

Just checked NAPA and they said they are a special order item not even carried in the distribution center and had to be special shipped price plus postage and they could not locate the outer cone by the number 392 at all. I am going to keep looking and check O' Rielly.

jasonjc

I just check oreilys online. The store buy me has the 3920 national in stock $13.99 , 3994 national in stock $36.99 and 392 national next day $33.99. They aslo had the 3920 master pro $9.99 and 3994 master pro $27.99 these had to be ordered 2-3 day.

oddshot

what happened to your bearings that they need replacing?
Pitting and galling ... the ones on the right rear are the worse of the lot. The ones on the left aren't *real* bad ... but since its apart ... may as well do it now and have it over with. The seals were also leaking and the gaskets and corks were missing.

While we were back there we saw the brakes need to be adjusted ... they were pretty loose. No big deal.

Then ...

ON TO THE FRONT!

:cool:

oddshot

oddshot

Where are you buying?
Those are not specific but std commercial parts: Cup (x2) = #3920; inner cone = #3994; outer cone = #392. The #3994 may not be that common, nevertheless they should be available online and/or at parts stores selling good brand bearings like Timken, SKF, NTN, etc.

+1

Jim ... try to get a look at the outer race and the inner race of the bearing itself. You will find a number and (likely) a brand name (i.e., Timken, SKF, NTN, etc. as above) stamped into the sides. That number and name should cross over to several name brands ...

Finding these things locally should NOT be a problem.

oddshot.

Bill W

I bought my first set of inner & outer bearing/races from Bunper to Bumper for a total price of almost $100.00 the other two sets of axle bears/races I got off e-bay for about $40.00 set ( inner & outers ) including shipping. If you have some time/patience they'll show up on e-bay ( took me about 2 weeks ) search "timken" and the part #

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks