• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear axle leaky

M35A2sand

Usually wouldn't bother people with this stupid of a question, but I don't know really what parts I'm supposed to purchase... Crawling under deuce looking at the inside of my rim of my inner rim (hopefully that makes sense?) anyway on that inside rim lip oil leaks out of the axle, well this should be simple I thought till I went to order seals.... Which ones do I need

I found this Site I wanted to buy from but again which ones do I need? Sorry if this is a dumb question guys, I appreciate any answers, thanks fellas! http://www.redbarncustoms.net/2_5_TON_BOOTS___SEALS.html

Last edited:

M35A2sand

Is the Link working now? I don't think it is the gasket that the axleshaft bolts to. I was thinking it was like an actual seal like on that link maybe half-way down the page. I know there is an inner and an outer seal, is this for the front and rear axle, or does each axle have inner and outer seals? Sorry I only have an iPad and thos tm's won't pull up on it. I have my actual tm in paper form but feel retarded because I cannot locate what I'm looking for...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a inner and outer wheel seal. They are the first two seals listed in the link.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is the outer seal (on the rear) that gives up first and the oil is in the hub, the inner seal is unable to keep the oil from getting past it. The inner seal is good at keeping everthing out but not the oil in. That is why i made these for the coal mine cars. With this seal you do not use the outer seal and wheel bearings are oil bath. The only draw back is the housing needs have the new seal surface machined on it.

Attachments

Keith_J

If the leak is visible from under the vehicle, this sounds like wheel cylinder leak (brakes) and not axle/bearing seal leak. If the axle seals leak, this will be seen as a leak BETWEEN the duals or in the front, just inside the wheel.

Brake wheel cylinders like to leak, especially this time of year. Overhaul kits are under $10 and take only a few minutes to install. Plus the overhaul kits have inner spring with cup seal expanders that prevent this problem. Uncle Sugar bought inferior wheel cylinders that didn't have the cup seal expanders. And because the source, maintenance and recoverability code for the wheel cylinder assembly is PAOZZ, meaning a unit mechanic is authorized to remove, replace and dispose of this assembly. This means it is unlikely this problem would ever be found. But you can overhaul them with great ease, only one tool is needed, a wheel cylinder hone. Which costs less than a single wheel cylinder.

While the wheel is apart, you can inspect bearings and seals. Repack the bearings, remembering to positively seal around the key tab. This keeps the gear oil out of the wheel bearings.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It is the outer seal (on the rear) that gives up first and the oil is in the hub, the inner seal is unable to keep the oil from getting past it. The inner seal is good at keeping everthing out but not the oil in. That is why i made these for the coal mine cars. With this seal you do not use the outer seal and wheel bearings are oil bath. The only draw back is the housing needs have the new seal surface machined on it.
I'd love to switch to an oil bath design on my rears. Could you PM me more details on your setup?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is the Link working now? I don't think it is the gasket that the axleshaft bolts to. I was thinking it was like an actual seal like on that link maybe half-way down the page. I know there is an inner and an outer seal, is this for the front and rear axle, or does each axle have inner and outer seals? Sorry I only have an iPad and thos tm's won't pull up on it. I have my actual tm in paper form but feel retarded because I cannot locate what I'm looking for...
First -----this a WEB based site, not a PHONE site, it is geared to the web,
Second- actual TM in paper = 1 TM, there is a stack of TMs for the truck ( aprox. 20 TMs)
Third -- -it sounds like a wheel cylinder
Forth--- -no point in ordering parts, till a tear down so you can see what is wrong and then order the CORRECT parts

You can find the TMs here
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/
OR
http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/
OR
http://fmvowners.com/index.php
OR
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...5fb95459e-A3015A99-D14A-19E1-238F1793FB3D9566
This is the mil. TM web site,
--says bad cert., click to go anyway,

Last edited:

91W350

I just did this Saturday. Stick your finger in the fluid, if it is thick and oily, it is the axle seal. Mine was pooling on the inside wheel and decorating the tire, bottom of the bed and the wind was whipping droplets up on the back of my tail gate. I do not have a dualy dolly. So I had to pull the wheels separate from the hub. Packed the bearings with Mobil 1 bearing grease. It took less than two hours for both sides. Make sure the vent is not plugged. Mine felt free but would not flow air. A little brake clean and air pressure has it working great. No leaks now.... Glen

Last edited:

M35A2sand

Explanation

First -----this a WEB based site, not a PHONE site, it is geared to the web,
Second- actual TM in paper = 1 TM, there is a stack of TMs for the truck ( aprox. 20 TMs)
Third -- -it sounds like a wheel cylinder
Forth--- -no point in ordering parts, till a tear down so you can see what is wrong and then order the CORRECT parts
I understand it is a web based site not a mobile one. I just wanted to say that I couldn't access the tm that was posted at first. That way you wouldn't be thinking "I posted the link, why doesn't he just read the tm" thanks for informing me that there are many many tms for it, I'm new to this whole thing and learning more and more everyday. The reason I didn't want to tear down and THEN order parts was because I wanted to have the LEAST down time possible. Thanks for pointing out that it also might be a wheel cylinder, again I'm learning more and more everyday!:D

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like the outer axle seal. You shouldn't just change that seal. if it's gear oil, that means your brake shoes are now soaked in oil. You'll need to tear the brake down and clean it thoroughly. If you go this route, you'll need the cork keyway seals, you might as well inspect the axle bearings, and rear seal. You may need to replace the brake pads...

You are really much better off tearing it down first, cleaning everything thoroughly, then ordering what you need. You can get all these parts from several fine folks and have them in no time at all.

Do it right the first time...

M35A2sand

I ended up pulling it all apart last night the rubber part of the inside seal had worked off of the tin piece that holds the rubber part of the seal in place. I have a new inner and outer seals ordered. I brakecleaned the crap outta the shoes, so I think I got 99% of the oil off of those. As far as that little cork piece used to seal that key way, do you think I can get away with using RTV silicone or would that be stupid?

Katahdin

Yep, others have used RTV on the keyways, I personally have used black RTV on two and it works. I'd also suggest degreasing the keyway with brake cleaner and Q-tips before applying the RTV.

jasonjc

Yep, others have used RTV on the keyways, I personally have used black RTV on two and it works. I'd also suggest degreasing the keyway with brake cleaner and Q-tips before applying the RTV.

:ditto:
YES on all of the above. This is how I do my trucks. Make sure its clean frist.