• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear axle questions...

Jim Hunter

Hello guys,

I am trying to rebuild an rear axle with a broken ring and pinion :
I get an good used set : pinion is complete even with the axle housing part that bolts with six bolts to the main housing, ring is w/o diff.
Can I use the pinion without to swap the axle housing part (I also have the shims from the donor set) ?
Also I am trying to find an adjuster and an bearing cap bolt washer but no luck found any in Greece...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either way you have to disassemble the pinion bearing stack to adjust the shims as you dial in your gear contact pattern.

Edit: wrong info, read next post.

Last edited:

Chaski

Not true on a 14 bolt 10.5". You adjust pinion depth by shimming up the entire pinion assembly. It is similar to a Ford 9". If the yoke is on the replacement pinion gear assembly I would leave it intact and swap in the entire assembly. You may need to mix and match shims to get proper pattern. On mine I had to use about .017" shims.

What adjuster are you needing? One of the 2.84" (roughly) threaded adjusters to move the carrier from side to side?

Last edited:

Chaski

The adjuster should be the same for both sides. I think they are identical and are both right hand thread. I really should keep everything... I tossed a pair of those in the scrap bin about a year ago. If I find some I'll let you know.

TropicalThunder

Noob here, don't mean to thread jack but figured there are people that know about these rear ends so question, how much play should the 14 bolt yoke have? mine seems to have about an 1/8" of play(rotation) maybe more. seems like a lot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks