• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear axle seal please help

Hotrodherman

Hey everyone I have been searching for 2 days with no luck. The insid of my back wheel is soaked with gear oil. I have never worked on a big truck. Have always built hot rods. Can anyone give me a link on how to do the seals? Step by step would be great. Sorry for the stupid question. I just could find it at all.
Thanks everyone

Flyingvan911

The left rear seal on my deuce leaked a little oil after I made the trip back from Fort Riley. Some ran down the side of the tire. Left a puddle on the ground about the size of a quarter. After that, it hasn't leaked since. I had tap-and-twisted the vents. I guess it was just dry seals. The thread mentioned above is good.

cleb

The left rear seal on my deuce leaked a little oil after I made the trip back from Fort Riley. Some ran down the side of the tire. Left a puddle on the ground about the size of a quarter. After that, it hasn't leaked since. I had tap-and-twisted the vents. I guess it was just dry seals. The thread mentioned above is good.
I would tear down your axles. If the oil made it out that far, it probably flushed the grease out of the bearings, and soaked your brakes with the whole mess.

sandcobra164

:ditto:I just replaced one of my seals yesterday for the same reason. Once oil makes it out of the back side of the hub, the grease at minimum has been diluted / thinned by the gear oil and you're bearings should be cleaned and repacked. I'm also a simple guy who likes piece of mind of knowing that I'm keeping my truck in as good a shape as I can.

mbarber84

Hotrodherman, I just got done replacing all the seals on my truck. Its not as complicated as one might think. Once you ter into the project, you will see. Please feel free to PM me if you need any specifics, but for the most part, the links you have been given by other members in previous posts will serve as an excellent tool to help you. Best of luck! If you need anything, just PM me!

Gravel

Just did one side on mine on Saturday, well technically I did two sides, since I pulled all the parts from my parts truck. In my case, I found the inside of the hub had been chewed up, and would have ate out the new seal in no time. Glad I have that parts truck sitting there!

mbarber84

Just another quick note, I realized I forgot to throw this in yesterday, when you go to take your hubs apart, you are going to need a 3" (8 Sided) Axle nut socket. It seems 3" is an odd ball size for most larger trucks, as my friend`s truck shop had every size imaginable BUT 3". I was able to pick one up at NAPA for $35.00 (I believe its a KD tools brand) Its nice and works perfectly, I apologize that I don't have the number for the socket on me right now, but I'm certain that the number is on the site here somewhere, as I remember reading about it. Hope everything goes smoothly!!

jpekarek

Just another quick note, I realized I forgot to throw this in yesterday, when you go to take your hubs apart, you are going to need a 3" (8 Sided) Axle nut socket. It seems 3" is an odd ball size for most larger trucks, as my friend`s truck shop had every size imaginable BUT 3". I was able to pick one up at NAPA for $35.00 (I believe its a KD tools brand) Its nice and works perfectly, I apologize that I don't have the number for the socket on me right now, but I'm certain that the number is on the site here somewhere, as I remember reading about it. Hope everything goes smoothly!!
Dont really need the socket. A small hammer and a dull chisel work wonderfully. You will probably find chisel marks on all of the axle nuts already from past jobs. Most of the military mechanics did it that way as well.

mbarber84

Agreed! I found a few that way when I did my friends truck, however his is much older and has been down the road a few more times.

I suppose I should have said "socket is preferred" as it wont chew up the nuts. Good call on that one jpekarek. Although I must admit, Ive found its nice to just have the right tool when you need it, provided its financially feasible. Also. the socket allows for a better method to apply the proper torque to the nut via a torque wrench. Cant remember the torque spec, but I DO remember that the original TM explanation is less than clear on the proper procedure for setting the inner and out nuts. As a matter of fact, I followed the original method in the TM and ended up rounding the small tab on the outer seal off aua...back to the vendor for another one.....then did some homework here with a fellow member only to find that a revised bulletin in one of the TM`s suggested a much better, and more common sense approach. Did all 4 rear axle points that way and have had trouble free operation for the past 2 weeks.

Just my 2cents

Either way will get it done! Again, best of luck!

sandcobra164

torque inner nut to 50 ft.lbs., back off 1/16 to 1/4 turn, install locking plate, torque outer nut to 100-200 ft.lbs., install axle shaft, torque outer hub bolts to around 80 ft.lbs., re-install tires and call it a day. Just did this 2 days ago so the TM info is fresh in my mind.

jpekarek

The only way.
Well, lots of ways to skin a cat. Gotta work with what you have. Or what you can afford. The sockets are $35 to $75 each. I can't afford that for something I may not ever use again.

It's nice to say that if you are going to work on something then use the right tools or don't work on it at all, but it's not very realistic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks