• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Axles are not Aligned

STrider3

I was looking at the truck (1980 M35A2) from afar last night and noticed that the rear axles do not line up. The rear most axle is shifted about 4" to the right from the forward axle. It could be that the front rear axle is shifted to the left but it looks more that the rear is shifted right if the steering axle is referenced. Is everything supposed to line up? I would think so. I had a Jeep Cherokee that had the rear tires taking a narrower track than the front tires but this was by design. I

Is this something that I should take to a truck shop to have checked and adjusted? The truck has a case of the jiggles @ 2100 RPM so I know I need something balanced anyway. I am thinking that a trip to Hogan & Sons in Frederick, MD is in my future.

I sure wish I had this on my checklist prior to purchase but this post may cause others to add it to their pre-purchase checklist.

Pictures of my new truck are soon coming. I found the camera cable but have to make them smaller.

I ran out of fuel yesterday.. I will share the story in my next posting.

gunboy1656

I am going to take a guess you made a sharp turn before looking at the axles? Correct. If yes, pull straight forward then check again should be aligned.

dilligaf13

nopics

The axles were designed to "walk" back and forth during turning to lessen stress/prevent binding and breakage. Look at the ends of the leaf springs and you'll notice they have the ability so slide from side to side a few inches. Post some pictures and as long as it's not anything crazy your fine.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axles shift quite a bit when you turn corners. Sometimes they don't get enough time to straighten back out before you park. It's not abnormal.

FL_Frank

I had this issue as well on my deuce - specifically that they articulated forward/rearward far too much for the tight clearances required by the 395s. Turned out it was my torque bars wearing - so fairly easy to fix relatively speaking. It does still move side to side a lot, but as mentioned above, just drive the truck straight a bit and they (mostly) line up.

-Frank

STrider3

I am going to chalk this one up in the "What did you learn at school today?" column. Thank you all. It completely makes sense. I was just out there looking at it and did not readily see where the axles attached but now I know. Go figure. Gotta love the deuce and I do more and more every day. I will continue will my reading lessons now.

dmetalmiki

Axle Allighnment

Suprised you haven't had the (huge?) "BUMP" ("What HAVE I hit??" ( jumps out in panick , looks..sees nothing!))when you turn/backup tight..makes you really jump if you aren't aware of whats going on!.. The rear axles "allighning themselves". Lube prevents this. But scary if not expecting it...or new to deuces etc.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks