• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear composite to LED conversion

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That link you provided to the TM-9-2320-387-24P clearly stated not for distribution and listed the "owner" of that copy. (was removed)
That same TM is available in the TM sticky in the HMMWV forum.
Please folks be careful of the links you post!

springer1981

I think I understand your question. You purchased only the light and not the light mounting bucket that makes up the back of the light. I thought you meant the bucket that mounts to the fenders but in this case the bucket is actually the rear of the light housing.

In the brochure it shows the parts of the light. To the left is what you got based on the part number and description below. The middle is the back side of the light and the right is the bucket. The design of the light (left side) doesn't seem like it fits the stock bucket since stock bucket actually contains the light fixtures. On the original lights the outer cover is really just a lens. I guess the first thing I'd do is see it the screw holes and and light match up to the existing light. If they do, maybe you can gut the original light and mount it. The buckets don't appear to be listed separately however the HMMWV conversion kit listed in the brochure looks like it only includes the light and not the buckets. It also states "Retrofits incandescent lighting to LED" so it would appear it will fit your existing.

TL.JPG

Here is what I call light buckets....

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The nomenclature can be confusing as folks tend to use the terms "housing" and "bucket" interchangeably.
("I plead guilty, your honour, and throw myself on the mercies of the court. I have amended my ways and will sin no more. Well, I'll try anyway..")

In the M1102 manual at least, and to several manufacturers/retailers, the part that rivets to the trailers and Humvees that Springer shows above is referred to as the "tail light housing". The "bucket" usually refers to the cupped back that the incandescent light bits mount inside of, and which is empty for LED lights.

The lens holder is called a "door" for some reason!

Other than all the obvious internal bits inside the incandescent bucket, the difference between those and ones for the LEDs is that the LED buckets have flat mating surfaces, lacking the thin ridge the others have for engaging the o-ring in the door.
(That probably sounds confusing, I'll dig a couple out and take pictures).
You can put an LED onto a gutted incandescent bucket, it will just sit a fraction proud of the mating surface because of the o-ring ridge. Functionally insignificant, and it doesn't really show on recessed lights.

Cheers

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the pictures - a stripped out regular incandescent bucket on the left, LED type on the right. These are both metal, but the plastic ones are pretty much identical.
Most of the LED buckets have a slightly bigger wire hole in the back to get the Packard connectors through.

Cheers

20230428_073327b - Copy.jpg 20230428_073420b - Copy.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And from my experience the empty "bucket" can be grote or trucklite or _______ as the mounting pattern of the "door" lens is the same no matter the brand.

There is now more companies making military LED stuff besides those 2.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks