• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear drum brakes 1009

rsh4364

Happy Thanksgiving All,Im gearing up to redo rear brakes,going with new wheel cyls. all in one drumrepair kit,new shoes,new self adj. kit and new rear brake lines.I know when I got new tires the guys couldn't get the wheels off and I had to buy new wheels they were bent so bad,Do you think drums will come off any easier ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you should first take your truck to a brake place for a "free" inspection. ;-)

Stuck drums can be a bear to get off.

scottladdy

Don't forget to loosen the shoes. Procedure is simple. Special drum brake tools help a bit, but can be done with a screwdriver.

The shoes don't span the entire width of the braking surface of the drum. There is usually about a 1/8" gap. Often times the drums will develop rust in this area, making it nearly impossible to remove the drum unless you loosen the adjuster a significant amount.

I always recommend replacing the hardware as well. All springs, self adjuster, and parking brake hardware. Very inexpensive (maybe $15 per axle at RockAuto).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks