• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear End Vent

cten

Could someone please confirm for me that this is the rear end vent tube.

Before I go and remove these and clean them with some solvent to keep them clean.

I want to be sure that I'm removing the correct part.

It is a little nub located between the differential an the wheel on top of the axle housing.

Thanks again everyone.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cten, thats the vent you need to clean. Just unscrew it from the housing and give it a good cleaning with solvent or brakecleen then blow it off real good. I would answer your questions faster but it takes me a month of Sundays to open those huge pic attachments.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are actually oneway valves. It takes about 1 to 2 psi of pressure from the axle housing to open and they keep water out during fording. If they don't open, the pressure from within the housing may blow a seal or two (inner wheel bearing seal).
Many don't work or can not be cleaned, test them by blowing and sucking air through them.
You will find one on the transmission and one on the transfer case also.

Pappa-G

Back in the day when I would take every 4X4 I had into water to see if it would sink or swim, we'd replace the vents with nipples and attach a teed hose to them and run that up high in the cab somewhere. Some guys even would put 1-2 lbs of positive air preasurre in to keep the water out. It all depends on how you drive. [2cents]
Now days I keep dry. [:)] ~Pappa-G

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added plumbing, hoses and valves to be able to pressurize my axle housings and t-case. The same low pressure regulator is used as used for the bellhousing. When not pressurized they are vented at a point just above the 25-amp regulator under the hood.
The pressure is about 2-1/2 psi. Good to a water depth of 4-5 feet above the axles. :)
The air-pak is vented separately at this point also. The air-pak "vent" is actually an exhaust so to keep it simple I separated it to make sure it will not clog up for any reason (brakes will not release if air is not exhausted).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks