• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Exterior Spare Tire Carrier

ssdvc

Just another "hey, I didn't know this was out there" part.

I have been looking at some different options, for different areas of my M1009. 5 years after she rolled off the CUCVRUS assembly line I am looking at some improvements I don't want to permanently modify anything, so the list is short for now. One of the things I have been looking at is an exterior spare tire carrier and maybe an integrated fuel can rack for a few Scepter Cans. Anyway, I was reading about a modified Porsche Cayenne (hey, I strayed, but only for a moment) and came across this tire carrier < https://www.rigdsupply.com/ >. I have no affiliation with them, I just am looking closely at their UltraSwing Multi-fit unit as a possible fit for my M1009. They look very well made, easily removable and look good too. Plus, I can still use my Class IV setup and do some trailer towing WITHOUT removing the mount.

Anyone ever use one of these?

Skinny

$1200 plus shipping gets you a lot more when you start fabbing or buying an entire bumper that holds the tire.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ssdvc

Skinny, While I can agree with you, for those of us who don't have the skills or tool necessary to do that, this seems like a really decent alternitve. Plus, it's easy to install/remove, very well made and it looks good too. I have some custom ideas, but I don't know anyone around me that works for materials and beer so I can get what I would like without breaking the bank (or the wife breaking my legs).

BTW, where in NH? I lived in Dover for a good many years and I am always up in the North Hampton area. My oldest lives next to the Throwback Brewery.

Barrman

Those do look very well made and seem to be a viable choice for the M1009 trucks if you already have a receiver hitch installed.

Having written that. I built a swing away carrier for my Cowdog Suburban. It functions perfectly, holds a pair of Gerry cans or a Gerry can and my CO2 tank, HILIft jack and the spare. When it is on the truck, I have maximum interior space but find myself avoiding the 10 seconds of diversion to swing it open in everyday life. So, I removed it after a year or so. I lost a bunch of interior space with the spare sitting inside and I couldn't install the 3rd row seat. But I sure did use both cargo barn doors again. Then I got tired of the spare inside and put the swing away back on.

My point is that you might find yourself loving it at first and then once you live with it. You might remove it and keep making excuses why you don't need to put it back on again. That is a pretty expensive big heavy chunk of steel to trip over the next 20 years.

chevymike

Wilco makes some awesome Hitchgate tire carriers. I had one on my old Ram setup and it logged thousands of miles in the dirt and was even hit by a car while parked. Stood up great, no rattles and I still could tow a car hauler with a truck on it. Looks like they have 3 models now (used to be only one).

Jeepadict

I second the Wilco Offroad Hitchgate carrier. I've been sporting one on my 2500 Suburban for over 3 years near-constant duty (removed occasionally, but always goes back on). They have multiple models to choose from, but none are cheap...they've doubled in price since I got the 1st run of my model.

Since their base is the super-anal overlanding crowd, Jake and his team go out of their way to make everyone happy as often as possible. About a year ago I wanted to replace the bushings because i was chasing down a rattle in the rear end (was eventually found to be a loose u-bolt) I stopped in their shop in SoCal to pick up the proper bushings as they shipped the wrong ones. New bushings are for gen 2, too big for my gen 1. Two hours later I left with a fitment I could live with and additional parts to have my machinist fix at a later time. Their stuff is expensive, but I love these guys!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Skinny

Since their base is the super-anal overlanding crowd
This explains the cost...

Overlanding = expensive

I get it. Without fab tools that makes the decision completely different. I am building a carrier and I bet that I have 5 hours just into thinking and buying parts. I have about $400 just in parts and havent bought steel yet.

I will play devils advocate on my own statement. No better time then now to buy a welder and learn. I had an old XJ Jeep Cherokee when I was 18. It had a trac bar bracket that was all hogged out. I bought my little Hobart MIG and learned how to weld because I couldn't afford to pay someone. That was the best $350 ever spent. I've done custom frame work, bumpers, sliders, etc. all with that machine, a bottle, $40 angle grinder, and a Harbor Freight chop saw. Sure more expensive stuff is fun to use but that is pretty affordable and basic equipment. Once you learn to weld the world is yours. Being limited to bolt on stuff really sucks.

I live right near the Kittery Portsmouth town line. My girlfriend's parents live in Dover. She grew up right down the road from the jail and county complex area.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ssdvc

Skinny, I am up there all the time, visiting the boys and trips to PNSY. I'll PM you and maybe we can get together for coffee in the spring, when I'll be driving the 09 again.

Skinny

Sounds good

I'm right down the road from PNSY. Maybe when cars and coffee start again. They have pretty good shows at the Fox Run mall on Sunday.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Skinny

I'm sorry, didnt see your question until now. It's a standard non-Blazer CUCV bumper. I wanted the Suburban to match my M1031 so it has the same bumpers and brush guard.

In hind sight it would have been better to just fab a whole new bumper and carrier but looks were more important. I feel being deep into my 30's that I can use that excuse. Young Skinny would backhand old Skinny and make it out of 1/4" wall metal to back into trees.

I did add some delrin pucks to keep the heims from rotating. Should have used a brass bushing instead. When I get some use out of the truck I'll go back and change it up. I still have a lot of work ahead with the generator, roof rack, and solar. Plus the M1031 is getting a 4L80 so no time.

Here are some pics of the final result.

Skinny

Thanks

I will say that it has been the longest and most painful mod trying to make a factory looking tire carrier with an oem bumper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks