• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Flood Light Installation

steelandcanvas

The lights have been mounted for months now so I decided this afternoon I would finish the wiring portion of the task. I placed a switch in the cab under the dash with an indicator lamp to tell/remind me the lights are on. I also placed a switch at the rear above the left mudflap, also to turn the lights on or off, just like the 3 way switch in your house. I ran the wiring inside the frame using zip-ties to attach to the existing wiring harness.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you take your truck off road, you will want to move them closer in. I had a set mounted just like you and they were gone in 15min of trail riding. Hope this helps to save yours.

plym49

Really nicely done. Neat wiring, all of the correct components. It's a nice change from some of the slim shady wiring one sometimes sees.

Tlauden

Looks good!!! I like the idea of how you switched them. To this day I can not figure out how to wire up switches so they work like that, even looking at wiring diagrams I get confused lol. I'll stick to the simple one switch on/off circuits

Also, if I may ask, where did u find them lights. They look awesome!!

steelandcanvas

If you take your truck off road, you will want to move them closer in. I had a set mounted just like you and they were gone in 15min of trail riding. Hope this helps to save yours.
I really don't go off-road very often, but I think I'll turn them 180* if I ever do.

Really nicely done. Neat wiring, all of the correct components. It's a nice change from some of the slim shady wiring one sometimes sees.
Thanks! I like to do my modifications with Mil-Spec parts, it makes it look like a Guy in the motorpool had way too much time on his hands.

Also, if I may ask, where did u find them lights. They look awesome!!
The lights were in the S/S classifieds quite a few months ago, and honestly I can't remember who I purchased them from. They come up on flea bay occasionally.

RAYZER

I really like the setup,it looks real clean.
I did something similar using some cheap harbour freight 12v utility lights mounted to one of their round chrome magnets and stuck them up under after painting them green, I never wired them. Your truck looks real clean too!
[thumbzup]

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have them mounted on the mirrors, and turned outwards, to give broader coverage. They are 24V utility lights, similiar to those found on heavy construction equipment. If you have a trailer on, that is important.

Attachments

steelandcanvas

Dual switch set-up is nice as well as the indicator light just in case something bumps the switch.
Both switches are 3 position, with the center position being off. If I put the cab mounted switch in the center position, the rear switch will not turn the lights on in any position. Nice for inquisitive little fingers not to be able to drain my batteries. Since it is illegal in most states, if not all, to have "white light" to the rear, I thought the indicator light might save me from a roadside visit with a LEO.

Prankster

Can you show me how to install a relay to the switch?
I get so confused. I read the display instructions but I still don't understand it.
What I do understand is burning out my switch, blowing fuses, and I just burned out my alternator.
I added four 55w lamps wired into my backup lights, and oops!

plym49

Can you show me how to install a relay to the switch?
I get so confused. I read the display instructions but I still don't understand it.
What I do understand is burning out my switch, blowing fuses, and I just burned out my alternator.
I added four 55w lamps wired into my backup lights, and oops!
Easy.

The backup lights energize the coil of the relay with a skinny wire to one side of the coil. The other coil connection goes to ground.

One of the switched (NO or Normally Open) contacts on the relay connect to a good source of power, like right to the battery terminal, using a fat wire. This wire should go through its own fuse or circuit breaker. The other contact goes to your lamps with fat wire. The other side of the lamps goes to ground.

Now, when your backup lights go on, the relay picks up and switches on your 4 55 watt lamps without burning anything up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks