• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Half-Shaft Loose

BLinn

Hello everyone. I’m new here and a new HMMWV owner. ‘94 M998 6.5l. I have been doing the usual recommended checks and fluid changes, along with greasing when I noticed that my rear right half shaft was loose. I found all the brake rotor hardware to be loose or missing. Two bolts and lock washers were gone and the rest half way out. Found damage to the brake caliper too. I tightened the remaining bolts back up to secure it. I then inspected the remaining half shaft hardware and the other three units looked fine.

Anyone else experience this?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it's very common for the halfshaft retaining bolts to be loose or missing coming from surplus. It's one of the first things that should be checked for that very reason.
I know my truck they were all there and snug, but definitely not properly tightened.

I don't know if you do youtube at all, but even Matt's Off Road Recovery has a video where they went to recover a HMMWV that had the halfshaft bolts lost/broken.

As for the other 3 that look fine; you're still going to want to put a torque wrench on them and make sure all of them are tightened down to spec.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would just add that if any of the half shaft bolts are damaged in any way for sure replace them, I replace the bolts every time I replace a half shaft, cheap insurance.
It sounds like maybe someone may have swapped brake calipers so I would look at that very carefully.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. I like thread locker for essential nuts and bolts.

Spindles can loosen and fall out. You need to inspect them while you change the fluid.

And before I forget…

nopics

🤣