• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear half shaft seal leak

johniz1967

I need to change the seal that goes around the half shaft on the rear of my M997A2 with 12k gear reduction. I know it's that seal because it was bought missing the rear rh halfshaft and I noticed the seal was a bit deformed when I installed it.
I would like any tips or links I can get as to how to remove and replace the seal and a link for where to buy the seal

Attachments

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not really difficult if you are not afraid of getting dirty.

1. remove the half shaft
Wheel down
Loosen the dummy plug on the portal gearbox. Behind it is the screw that holds the half shaft on the wheel side. Imho 7/16. long nut and out with it.
Then loosen the half shaft on the inside, i.e. on the brake disk, and remove the thing.
2. Replace the defective CV boot.
Personally, I would disassemble the portal side. That's easy, you only need a pair of snap ring pliers.
Well described in this video:
Even if this describes the replacement of 10k halfshafts, the principle is the same.
Clean and wash everything properly so that you can see and remove the one spring washer that needs to be loosened before you go at it like a Russian with a hammer.
So dismantle the portal side, then remove the boot from the inside too. Wash out everything there and then fill it with grease again. Then put everything back together in reverse.
I would replace both CV boots. Even if the inner side usually lasts longer. But you've done what you've done. Why do the work twice later.
All in all, you'll be as dirty as a pig afterwards. But then you'll have peace of mind.

johniz1967

This is not really difficult if you are not afraid of getting dirty.

1. remove the half shaft
Wheel down
Loosen the dummy plug on the portal gearbox. Behind it is the screw that holds the half shaft on the wheel side. Imho 7/16. long nut and out with it.
Then loosen the half shaft on the inside, i.e. on the brake disk, and remove the thing.
2. Replace the defective CV boot.
Personally, I would disassemble the portal side. That's easy, you only need a pair of snap ring pliers.
Well described in this video:
Even if this describes the replacement of 10k halfshafts, the principle is the same.
Clean and wash everything properly so that you can see and remove the one spring washer that needs to be loosened before you go at it like a Russian with a hammer.
So dismantle the portal side, then remove the boot from the inside too. Wash out everything there and then fill it with grease again. Then put everything back together in reverse.
I would replace both CV boots. Even if the inner side usually lasts longer. But you've done what you've done. Why do the work twice later.
All in all, you'll be as dirty as a pig afterwards. But then you'll have peace of mind.
Thank you for the CV boot information. But the seal i am talking about is inside the gear reduction unit where the halfshaft axel goes in.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to change the seal that goes around the half shaft on the rear of my M997A2 with 12k gear reduction. I know it's that seal because it was bought missing the rear rh halfshaft and I noticed the seal was a bit deformed when I installed it.
I would like any tips or links I can get as to how to remove and replace the seal and a link for where to buy the seal
OK , you need the seal, 6 bolts and special washers. Do not reuse the bolts on the inboard side. Order from one of the industry source 's the bolts, washers and seal. If the mating surface on the shaft is pitied or corroded you can correct that with a speedy sleeve (SKF 99199) . Its a pain to instal but worth it. The seal should recess a small amount into the hub also. Straight forward greasy job, be safe have fun.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the information you need are in the TMs that are listed here for free, download the first 8 to get you going.

The parts TM 9-2320-280-24P-1 is where you will find the part numbers you need.
On page 5 (several pages under the TOC 'table of contents" you will find the list of UOC "usable on code" for you vehicle, you will need this to reference the correct parts.
You will see that a M997A2 has a UOC of B15, remember this number as you will need it any time you want to look up parts.
Now go to the TOC and scroll down to group 11 "rear axle"
You will see two listings "1104 Rear knuckle and geared hub assembly" with illustrations 150 and 151.
We know from experience the 150 is the 10K hub and 151 is your 12K hub, the two are clearly listed as used on "Basic/A1 OR A2 vehicles"
So go to illustration 151, you will have to scroll up to see the illustration.
The part you seek is number 11, in the illustration it is shown driven in from the inside but you will be driving it in from the outside.
So now scroll down the the parts list to #11
You will see this
11 PAOZZ 5330014563884 80201 534059 .SEAL,PLAIN UPPER.................. 1
UOC:BVY,B15,B20,B24,B25,C17,NNN

First you will see that that part is good for the UOC of B15, if there were two # 11s only one would have a UOC B15 listed, any part the does not have any UOC codes listed will fit any vehicle covered by the TM you are looking at.

So that part has a NSN number of 5330014563884 and a manufacture part number 534059, you can search these numbers for the parts you need.
Now you can look up any part number you need for your M997A2
Downloading and using the TMs IMHO is EXTREMELY important as it gets you MUCH more familiar with your Humvee and less dependent on others to get the info you need.

Nobody can remember all these part numbers so when you ask for a part number you are asking somebody to do the "booger head" work for you.

If you have trouble finding a number after actually trying to look it up yourself there are lots of folks here to help.

The meds are kicking in so I will tackle the labor part after my NAP!

Attachments