• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Hub flip M123/M125 10 ton truck

houdel

Has anyone ever done or does anyone know if it is possible to flip the rear hubs on a10 ton M123/M125 series truck to run super singles on the rear as is commonly done on a Deuce rear axle? I have looked at the -20 and -34 manuals but they do not go into a lot of detail.

Thanks, Lee

Capt.Marion

I hope you have a good front end loader or crane for maneuvering those tires! Goodyear super singles on an 813 weigh in around 400 lbs/piece...

houdel

Re: RE: Rear Hub flip M123/M125 10 ton truck

Capt.Marion said:
I hope you have a good front end loader or crane for maneuvering those tires! Goodyear super singles on an 813 weigh in around 400 lbs/piece...
I have both! But I'd need to come up with a plan for a tire change while on the road, though!

M1075

RE: Re: RE: Rear Hub flip M123/M125 10 ton truck

I'm not sure you would need the hub flip. To single out a 5 ton, you just flip the rims, not the hubs. A similar arrangement might be possible with a 10 ton. See you other post re: PLS rims.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Rear Hub flip M123/M125 10 ton truck

houdel said:
Capt.Marion said:
I have both! But I'd need to come up with a plan for a tire change while on the road, though!
Guess you could use the crane on the truck move the tires around. A 20 ton bottle jack and some pry bars should take care of the rest.

houdel

RE: Re: RE: Rear Hub flip M123/M125 10 ton truck

M1075 said:
I'm not sure you would need the hub flip. To single out a 5 ton, you just flip the rims, not the hubs. A similar arrangement might be possible with a 10 ton. See you other post re: PLS rims.
I haven't seen that done on a 5 ton, so I don't know how it would work. It doesn't really work well on a Deuce without flipping the hubs since it makes practically no difference in the track due to the deep dish rim (the M123/M125 also have deep dish rims). If you run only single rears dish in as on the front, the rear tires are some 9"-10" inboard of the front tire track; if you run single rears dish out the rears are the same 9"-10" outboard of the fronts, just as though you were running duals. Take a good look at my avatar, I am running singles on the rear, dish out, it looks like I have duals on.

The point of the hub flip is to have the same track width front and rear. This improves appearance and vehicle dynamics. More importantly to me, the M123/M125 series trucks have a rear track width (outside to outside) of 114" which is over the legal width limit. Flipping the hubs and singling the rears would bring me within the legal width limit.

m16ty said:
Guess you could use the crane on the truck move the tires around. A 20 ton bottle jack and some pry bars should take care of the rest.
Don't think it would work. I doubt I'd be able to get the crane close enough to the rear tires to be effective and the crane will not rotate far enough to get close to the front tires. This does work OK if you have a knuckleboom cane like Bjorn's truck which has a "dipper stick" that will bring the tire right into the hub.

M1075

99% of 5 tons with singles are running the rims flipped, not the hubs. The rims used with singles are not dished out like those for dual applications. For the M939 series, the offset of the rim is designed such that the front and rear tires track when the rim is flipped and the hubs remain the same. It is possible to flip the hubs and run the rims the same way (ask DMA251). Here are pics of each method. Either way, the tires track.

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
That truck (DMA251's) is only about 40 miles from me now. I sold the guy my towbar last year and he came out in his very nice M998. Said he was going to tow the Hummer with the 5 ton to go camping at Pismo Beach.

• Wow
Reactions: HDN

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
just a thought on wheels... I have been seeing a lot of the back sections of the Marines' mk48 on gl lately....
some of them have been indicating a 16R21 tire....

M1075

The Oshkosh PLS brochure says the trucks are compatible with 24R21 widebase tires. I think Hotrod on ebay had some of those in the XZL pattern a while back.