• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear hubs.. how hot is hot????

sailor2000

OK.. I know I need to pull a wheel bearing PM on the truck... am sure the former owner who had it for 2 years never did one... but til I have the time and place to do it... I am riding onward... so... after a 15 mile trip down the interstate at full ramming speed (50 mph) how warm should my rear hubs be? Front is slightly warm to the touch... all rears are warmer than that... warm (hot) enough that is is uncomforatble to hold my hand on there, but not so hot that I can't hold it there.. so maybe 105 degrees? All the rear hubs feel ablout the same... btw.. the ambient temp today is about 90 degrees...

Thanks

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine run about that hot. I replaced bearings and races with new Timkens. Also replaced seals, re-adj brakes etc. I've been running around the neighborhood with no issues yet.

acetomatoco

I would say you are fine.. heck you are only talking about 15 degrees above ambient...there are plenty of other things to do on the truck to take your time....

Sarge

Hot hubs

I'll tell you what our directions were in the military. Whenever our tactical gear went anywhere, singly or in convoy, we stopped after 10 to 15 miles and both driver and shotgun hopped out, ran down their side of the vehicle, pressing the back of their hand to each drum/hub. Why the back? Because some people have the natural reaction to grasp when burned or shocked. Anyhoo, if you could not count one-thousand-one, one-thousand-two while touching the metal, it was time for vehicle maintenance to take a look.

Barrman

RE: Hot hubs

Go ahead and spend the $40 or so for an infrared non contact thermometer. It is great for hub temps, tire temps and brake temps. I don't leave home in any vehicle without one anymore.

You driving around 610 or 45 in Houston on a day like yesterday will make anything on the truck too hot to touch. Get a gun and start reading all hubs, brakes and tires. After about 3 measurements, you will know exactly which hub is hotter than the rest and by how much. A 4-8 degree difference is to be expected. Anything more than 10 degrees or so on the same hub time after time needs to be addressed.

I can't tell you what temperature to expect, because each day it is going to be different.

rmgill

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to note the temp's down on a chart so you can look for spikes after a certain run time.

Barrman

It is a good way to determine proper inflation of a tire too. Check the temps across the tread. Peaks in the middle too much air, peaks on the outside and not enough air.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks