• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear inner axle seal

kennys@wi.rr.com

I know there are many threads out there on this subject, however, I need some more detailed help on the installation. Here is what I've tried so far.

I of course tried to just grease the spindle and push the new seal on by hand, now everyone say "that doesn't work". Of course I didn't think it would work but hey I gotta try everything.

Then I tried getting the 3" pvc coupler and hammering it onto the spindle. I read in another thread that someone did this and it worked well. Well after an hour of hammering and several pieces of pvc trying to kill me no go again.

I then tried to thread the nut onto the spindle and press the seal on, again no no.

I tried using the steel dowl to tap it in and well it leaves an impression on the seal so i stopped that right away.

Can someone please help me figure out what I need to do or what am I doing wrong? Included are pics of how far I've been able to get it so far.

Thank you

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... certainly a well known problem and very valid question: how to avoid distorting a brand new seal during installation!

Years ago (and still in use) I made a "special" tool from an old 3994 bearing cone, by sanding its I.D. (to allow to slide on/off easily) and also by turning off some material on the backside so that it leaves only a small rim, to be able to push the seal right at its reinforced edge, all the way onto its seat.
Using a piece of steel tube or pipe an a good hammer plus this tool will get the job done professionally.
I could send you pics or measurements if needed but I think the idea is clear enough....

G.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well let me state the obvious, when doing a job and you take a ton of pictures of the before so you won't forget it during the after, look at those pics. Yes the seal is on all the way and has been on all the way the whole time. So let the games begin and get your best shat in now. I give you all a free pass.

Attachments

poof

Dirty Hippie
well figure it out.. then come on over and help me do mine
also I think your front axil dust boot on the passenger side is loose on the big ring side
J.P.

skinnedknuckles

Hey Kenny ,
Now that you know to do them axle seals wanna do mine too[thumbzup]:grin:rofl Good luck on them seals sealing. I'm going to pull one of the spare axles in here and see if there is a way to avoid them d**m stemco type seals!
Paul in Janesville

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First Kenny blows a few seals then he beats the snot out of a few others, someone call PETA.
hey leave peta alone I am a memeber in good standing

People Eating Tasty Animals

I think Wreckerman is in good standing too but the possum isn't safe

Last edited:

DavidB

Went seal hunting yesterday looking for M146 trailer inner seals.Took numbers to truck parts guy and said these are the normal military stuff I always want .He smiled and said these are "normal good numbers" and will have two on Friday or Monday.Now more good fortune, we have an expert seal clubber on this side of the lake! I may need help as we only ordered two.Just kidding I have the tool and it goes in the drum.
DavidB

BEASTMASTER

i used a small piece of plywood and a good 4x4 block. a solid direct hit in the center of the block should get the seal started and then go around the edge about 8 times until it is seated. i was told they should'nt leak because the 90 wgt should'nt get into the hub.