• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear main seal leak

Gripy

I needed to replace my oil pan. I ordered a new one and put it in. This gave me a rear main leak. Dropped pan again (not enough RTV? Lets fix that! Cause more is best) No good.

Drop pan 3rd time, realize that I messed up and didn't notice the rubber seal stuck to the block (its dark under there with hot oil dripping on you)

Replace seal with generous rtv above and below seal and on pan. I let it sit for a day and then pour in oil. Idles for about 1hr with no leaks. I take it for a drive and when I park I come back to an oil puddle

• aua What am I missing here? Please help. It shouldn't be this difficult.
  • ETA: no rear main leak before replacing the pan. Could the new pan be slightly out of spec?

Last edited:
to find out where it is coming from you are going to have to completely degrease the bottom of your engine get it as clean as you can around the oil pan and let it idle until it reachs operating temp and just keep crawling under and looking until you find the leak.