• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear main seal or transmission input shaft?

plym49

After a few hours of highway driving, my Deusce experiences clutch slip under low speed/high load. For example, say you slow down to 15 moh and then need to accelerate up a hill. The clutch will begin to slip a bit, which is easily controlled by backing off the throttle a bit.

This only happens after an expended run, and when things cool off/dry out the clutch no longer slips.

Yes, I know I should crawl underneath. I haven't done that yet.

My question is what type of leak would cause this. A rear seal leak would be on the other side of the flywheel - does the leaked oil aerosol inside the bellhousing to make things slippery on the back? Or would this be due to a leak at the transmission input shaft?

I am just curious as to what usually causes this type of behavior. I know I have to get under there.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A rear seal leak would be on the other side of the flywheel - does the leaked oil aerosol inside the bellhousing to make things slippery on the back?................
1)Short answer: YES!
2)Longer story, to prove that it does: read here... and also this post

Of course you will need to determine if it is engine- or transmission oil, coming out of the fording plug hole.
We have had reports here where the bolts attaching the transmission to the clutch housing were coming out and start leaking. Or the small ones holding the front bearing cap...

Let us know what you found!

G.

Last edited:

Rusty nuts

Mine was doing the exact same thing. Looked like black motor oil and not much smell so I figured it was the rear main. I have been prepping a new motor to put in so didn't worry about it, just kept it clean with brake cleaner. I just changed my tranny fluid to 40wt motor oil and it has not happened since. What happened is when my son and I recovered my truck he did the fluid checks and topped off the tranny like he had on any other vehicle he has worked on....to the bottom of the fill hole....but on the deuce, it is 1" below the fill hole. Have you checked your trans fluid level?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks