• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear main seal

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No sweat, I like to see what I am getting into before I do the job. Since there wasn't many pics, I figured I post a few. It really isn't that bad, just time consuming, ALSO! Once you put the new rear main seal in the "keeper", I oiled mine up to put it on the crank. DON'T SET IT ON THE DIRTY GRITTY CREEPER as you climb back under the truck. It took me a few extra mins to climb out and clean the dang thing.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang dude, that's some funny sheet right there. Wrench had to fall perfect.

I made an alignment tool on the lathe out of an old chunk of broom stick, worked perfect. Should have said something, would have gave it to ya... can always make another.

Dennis

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang dude, that's some funny sheet right there. Wrench had to fall perfect.

I made an alignment tool on the lathe out of an old chunk of broom stick, worked perfect. Should have said something, would have gave it to ya... can always make another.

Dennis
Chris must have some kind of wicked good luck because he could have lost an eye instead of just getting a sore nose with a couple of cuts.

A busted nose would just add character to that mug of his, loss of an eye is more problematic....... :-(

I was thinking the real axle seal was leaking so much it flung oil all the way up to the clutch. ;-)

gimpyrobb

Yeah, funny thing is, I usually use a face shield when working on stuff as the glasses don't protect enough. Figures one of the few times I don't, I get reminded why I wear them.

Jakob. Send me a PM mon with an addy. I'll send it once I'm done. Kinda slammed right now.

Canislupus

Think I have a different problem...

Try to make this short if I can.
Have had my M109A3 Continental Multi-Fuel for a couple Months now, had not driven anyplace since I picked it up in Clackamas, across town from here. (17 Miles) Very little Drippage in the driveway, over the last 2 months. And certainly nothing substantial.
Bought a M105 Trailer a couple weeks ago...
Drove the M109 up to Fort Lewis, WA from down here to pick up the trailer.
(About 150 Miles)
Arrived @ Fort Lewis, and stopped @ the regular checkpoint, shut down engine so Guard could hear me, and vice versa. She rerouted me back over to the Commercial Lane, so I spun it around, and zoomed over to the other Lane...
Get that? Spun... Zoomed?
Ok, so I get over there and shut it down for inspection, paperwork, Yadda.
After about 5 or 8 minutes I look underneath and there's a puddle of oil below the bellhousing about 8" x 5", I'm thinkin' Holy Crap... This can't be good.
So the Security Sup. came over and told me that I couldn't enter the Base "Trailing Oil". I'm now thinkin', THERE's GOT to BE A WAY !
So she turns me around and sends me down the street to get it fixed. Ya...
Outside the gate, I left it running, looked underneath, NO Drippage. Hmmm.
Wiped off the bottom of the Bell Housing. Shut it down... Oil runs out @ first, for about 10 / 15 seconds, then slows down to drip, then stops. Wipe bottom again, and restart. Pulled forward, backed up, then forward again. No Drippage. Shut it down, same thing, 10 /15 seconds of run, then drip, then nothing. Walked over and talked to Security Lady, and told her that I was not "Trailing Oil", that if it was running, it wouldn't leak on her Base. And that If I was "Trailing Oil" it would've shown up between the first gate, turning around and going to the second. NO Trail... AND I promised her that if she let me go just 1 MILE to get my Trailer, that I drove 3 Hours to get,that I'd REALLY APPRECIATE IT. So she finally let me bring it back to the inspection station, and
not shut it during the reinspection. I'm trying to make this END.
She allowed me in, and I went in, picked up trailer, and went home.
Stopped for Gas on the way home, same thing, runs out a bit then stops...
Got home, same thing. Also getting seepage from Radiator, just about the same size puddle.

So I'm thinkin Rear Main, but why only immediately when turned OFF??

Anybody? I have no idea what weight oil is in here, as it was squeaky clean when I picked it up.

This is surely enough for now. Any questions... Hit me back.

Attachments

54reo

Canislupus,

The oil is accumulating in the clutch/pressure plate assembly. As the engine is running, the oil is being kept in the recesses of the assembly by the engine's rotation. When you shut it down, the oil drains down and out of the bellhousing.

Are you sure it is engine oil and not gearlube from the transmission?

The transmission will leak if overfilled.

gimpyrobb

After running the truck for a bit, jump under and see where the trans fluid level is. When I replaced my rear main, I drained and refilled the trans. About a half inch from the bottom of the fill plug. When I put it back together and drove it (hard) to Tn it did the same thing. I stopped in Louisville and checked, the fluid was right at the fill plug. I drained some from the rear of the trans and it has been good ever since. I would make sure its not the trans fluid. If you get clutch slippage thats probably what it is as the flywheel has a lip on it, it would be REALLY hard to get motor oil on the clutch from a rear main seal leak.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alot of trans don't have a seal on the input shaft. The shaft has a spiral groove cut in it that keeps the gear oil forced back while turning. I don't know about the deuce trans as I haven't had one apart but if that's the case I can see how the oil could run out of the trans when shut down if it's over full.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't mean to thread jack here, but if any of you have read about my adventure getting my deuce home from WI and my clutch slipping, I know what gimpyrobb was going through.

I'm going to pull my tranny in a few weeks to clean everything up after that ordeal, and while I'm in there I figured I might as well replace the rear main seal while I'm at it. I have found the rear main seal for sale from several places mentioned here on the forum, but I can't find a listing anywhere for the carrier gasket. Does anybody know where I can find one???? Thanks.

Also, after reading that gimpy's tranny leaked again after his repair, just how full should it be when it's cold? I've read one knuckle down from the plug, should it maybe be a little more than that or not?

gimpyrobb

I have had some PMs on that gasket. It came in a whole motor gasket set. I think the last guy that asked me about it made his own. Yes, when I had my trans out, I filled it about a half inch below the fill hole. I wouldn't fill it that full.

54reo

I have found the rear main seal for sale from several places mentioned here on the forum, but I can't find a listing anywhere for the carrier gasket. Does anybody know where I can find one????
I ordered my rear main from Mike (OD Iron) and it was here in a matter of three days. A LOT cheaper than NAPA.

As far as the carrier gasket, I made mine from gasket stock. Be sure to put a little RTV on both sides.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I ordered my rear main from Mike (OD Iron) and it was here in a matter of three days. A LOT cheaper than NAPA.

As far as the carrier gasket, I made mine from gasket stock. Be sure to put a little RTV on both sides.
I made my own gasket as well. . .

plym49

Two questions:

1 - Can you use RTV alone for the rear main carrier instead of a gasket?

2 - Do they make Speedy Sleeves that will fit the crank in case it has a groove in it?

(My rear seal is fine, just wondering for the old Deuce data base.)

gimpyrobb

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks