• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Main Seal

Apoc Bane

Hi Guys,

Wondering if this symptom indicates a most likely bad rear main seal?

Whenever the truck has been run, then shut off, it will drop a few drops.
Not while it's running, only when it's run then shut off.

Thanks a lot in advance

TyJustice

It all depends on where the drips are coming from.

I will assume that the oil is coming from the fly wheel housing or around that area.

I would suggest pulling the cover to determine if it is the rear main or a leak from the oil pan. In both cases it really doesnt matter, because to do one(oil pan gasket) might as well do the rear main while you are in there.

I would also suggest you spend the $ on another oil pump and replace that was well. Since you will need to remove the oil pump to replace the rear main.

**Also check the vacuum pump behind the air cleaner and make sure that oil is not leaking and going down the back of the engine.

Good luck

beanman1

also check out the cdr valve (the can looking thing on the top of the motor) if it is clogged up it will cause exsessive engine pressure causing oil to be blown by the seals resulting in oil leaks in most cases you can clean it out that what happened to me thought was rear main so i replaced it and the oil was still coming out cleaned out the cdr valve and now ,t problem is fixed

Apoc Bane

Thanks for the replies and the advice.

Im going to check the cdr vavle too.

Not much of a mechanic, biggest jobs ive done are manifold and valve cover gaskets.
of which my m1009 had a valve cover leak which was fixed with a tighten of the screw.

Under my beast, there isn't a bell housing cover, so the flywheel and goodies are exposed (going to buy one)
There is far to much spilt oil and grease for me to know where the leak is for sure. It does land behind the oil pan, or towards the rear of the engine. Going to jack it up and clean up as much as I can, then maybe some flower and an engine run will narrow it down.

Is this the right Oil pump? (Sealed Power - OIL PUMP 22443424 - StreetSideAuto)

I have the oil pan and rear seal gaskets, just a little daunting to follow the faq for changing the rear main.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the right Oil pump? (Sealed Power - OIL PUMP 22443424 - StreetSideAuto)

I have the oil pan and rear seal gaskets, just a little daunting to follow the faq for changing the rear main.

When you are order/buying engine parts, tell them it is for a '84 Chevy K30 pickup with the 6.2l diesel. That will get you the J-code engine (non-EPA emissions) instead of the C-code engine (EPA emissions).

Any parts house can get parts. Your link didn't work for me so I can't tell if it is right. Autozone has a Melling for $33
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...18-0&displayName=Oil+Pump&searchText=oil+pump

Last edited: