• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Main

Ord22

for one thing. the rear main seal should be tight and not pushed in by hand. when you said that you can push it in by hand, its too loose. when installing them, you will need something like the old seal over the new seal to put it in, tapping lightly with hammer. do not put any sealant on it, its not needed! you need the correct seal.

buddy_holly

I'm having a similar issue with a leaky rear main seal and I'm trying to find all the specs for the clearances, crankshaft end play, etc. so I'll be able to check everything/replace anything once the tranny and the bottom half of the engine are apart. Where can this info be found? I've been digging through my TM discs for a couple hours now and I think my eyes are gonna go buggy if I look at one more dang PDF file. Thanks to anyone who can help point me in the right direction. :shock:

plym49

Whats a "speedi-sleeve"?
A thin, purpose-built, thin sleeve of metal. It presses over the part that has a groove worn into it by the seal (in this case, your crank) and provides a brand-new, smooth surface for the new seal to ride on. This way you make up for wear, plus any new wear is on the sleeve and not your expensive crank. Speedi-sleeves are usually designed for particular applications and will include any shoulders, etc. that are needed. They install with a clever little tool that is included in the package. Old sleeves are easily peeled off and replaced with no damage to the part in question. I use them as a matter of course on front seal replacements and the like as there is almost always a tiny groove and this way you always start fresh. The sleeves are so thin that the regular seal still works.

Random Tech Tip #38,2012. Got an oil leak you can't seem to find the souce for?
Here's an old trick for finding those pesky oil leaks. I read about this method several years ago in Easyriders Magazine and was originally used to find slow seeping seals and gaskets on an american made V-twin, but there's no reason you can't use it on anything that holds oil, has gaskets and shouldn't leak. After you spray the brake cleaner around and get everything all clean and sanitary, give it a little drying time and give the suspect area a coat of spray-powder deoderant. Once you get a fair coat of the white stuff all around, just run the engine a little bit and any leak even down to the slowest seep will stick out like a seagull at an Adam Sandler movie! (old Family Guy reference)
All bad similies aside, there's not an oil leak that can hide from this leak-finder method and will tell you exactly what's leaking and how bad. [thumbzup]

plym49

Random Tech Tip #38,2012. Got an oil leak you can't seem to find the souce for?
Here's an old trick for finding those pesky oil leaks. I read about this method several years ago in Easyriders Magazine and was originally used to find slow seeping seals and gaskets on an american made V-twin, but there's no reason you can't use it on anything that holds oil, has gaskets and shouldn't leak. After you spray the brake cleaner around and get everything all clean and sanitary, give it a little drying time and give the suspect area a coat of spray-powder deoderant. Once you get a fair coat of the white stuff all around, just run the engine a little bit and any leak even down to the slowest seep will stick out like a seagull at an Adam Sandler movie! (old Family Guy reference)
All bad similies aside, there's not an oil leak that can hide from this leak-finder method and will tell you exactly what's leaking and how bad. [thumbzup]
Good tip! Although I was taught that a slow seeping oil leak on a Harley was when you knew it was out of oil.

crazywelder72

A thin, purpose-built, thin sleeve of metal. It presses over the part that has a groove worn into it by the seal (in this case, your crank) and provides a brand-new, smooth surface for the new seal to ride on. This way you make up for wear, plus any new wear is on the sleeve and not your expensive crank. Speedi-sleeves are usually designed for particular applications and will include any shoulders, etc. that are needed. They install with a clever little tool that is included in the package. Old sleeves are easily peeled off and replaced with no damage to the part in question. I use them as a matter of course on front seal replacements and the like as there is almost always a tiny groove and this way you always start fresh. The sleeves are so thin that the regular seal still works.
Dose anyone have a p/n for the sleeve for the deuce? IS this something that is bought at napa?

crazywelder72

The p/n is 99499 and I found the best deal online at Advanced Auto Parts. They were $65 and there was a 15% discount coupon for online ordering. It gets better though. If you build your order over $75, you get free shipping. They just happen to have the 3" sockets for the axle nuts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks