• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear mounted spare tire anyone??

jesusgatos

Hi Jess, I picked up a few 50 Gallon deuce fuel tanks up at Brad's place. I'm going to mount one of those tanks where the spare tire carrier currently resides.
Me too. I'm going to build a spare-tire mount on the back left-side of the M109 box. Not planning on actually carrying a tire there very often, but want to have the option. It's going to be mounted to the 2" x .120-wall tubular roofrack with tubes that extend downwards to the bottom of the box. Might put the spare-tire mount on pivots, like a swingaway tire carrier, so that you can still open the small door when a tire is mounted. But seeing as there won't be a tire on there very often, I might just keep it simple and make a solid mount. I've got a cheap-o HF hoist, and I'll just need to make a stub-mount on the top of the box at that corner. Only other place I can think of would be on top of the cab, on some type of platform (cabover rack like I built, or a gun-ring mount, etc.).

wilber

I've been thinking about a door mount on the cab, but there isn't clearance to swing like the M37 mount because of the mirrors. I also thought about a mount that would swing down into a parallel position, you could use it as a step to get in. I guess there really isn't a good place for an alternative mount.

jesusgatos

Thanks man. I'm only planning on carrying one spare most of the time, and that will be mounted on the trailer. But I am going to build a spare tire mount on the back of the truck, just in case I want to go somewhere without the trailer. Even then, I'm not too worried about it, because of those brackets I'm going to make so I can chain-up one of the axles. But I like having options, so I'm going to make a spare tire mount too. It's going to hang off the tubular crossmember between the two back lift-points, and run down along the back of the box. I might put it on pivots, so the small door can still be opened when there's a tire on the mount, but then again I might just keep it simple and solid mount it.

wikallen

What about bolting the spare to a tow bar, tow bar attached to the hitch, and the feet braced with pulley cable up toward the rear door then locked into place with safety chain? If you want to tow a trailer, well then the tow bar and spare can go in it.

jesusgatos

That would work, except the towbar couldn't be raised to be vertical because it would hit the bed/box. Would be kinda cool if you made a custom swing-down tire carrier that was mounted to those shackle-mounts though. Would probably need to remove the bumperettes, but that would actually work pretty well. Use a little hand-winch to raise/lower the whole assembly...

wikallen

That would work, except the towbar couldn't be raised to be vertical because it would hit the bed/box. Would be kinda cool if you made a custom swing-down tire carrier that was mounted to those shackle-mounts though. Would probably need to remove the bumperettes, but that would actually work pretty well. Use a little hand-winch to raise/lower the whole assembly...

I understand it wouldn,t be vertical, thats why I said up towards the door. Would be out of the way for offroad clearance, just not sure how far it would stick out, might have to paint the feet of the towbar red.

In the down position it might be out of the way for the ladder, might not.

wilber

59apache, I like that fold down spare tire. That is cool, If I can just figure out a way to do it on a 211.

wikallen, I like your avatar, cool picture.

AN/ARC186

I was thinking something like the way the spare is mounted on the WC54, or in an inner compartment with an access door on the outside like some utility body rigs have.

Attachments

zout

Mount an RV electic stablizer jack to the rear door with an extended leg with the plate from your spare attached - push the button lower the leg - bolt on the spare - reaise it up into position.

jesusgatos

this is a carrier on a GAZ-66, it folds down.
That's exactly what I was thinking, except you could use the existing shackle mounts as pivot points and just make the tire carrier offset to one side.
I was thinking something like the way the spare is mounted on the WC54, or in an inner compartment with an access door on the outside like some utility body rigs have.
Looks VERY cool, but those M109 boxes aren't very big to start with and there's no way I could give up any more interior space (which a 43" tire would eat up quite a bit of).
you can move your bed / box a bit back and mount a carrier like this :
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attach...-my-new-m35-tractor-trailer-robstruck-007.jpg
on the right side is some space left for a nice toolbox.....
I got one of those that I'm going to mount on the tongue of the M103A3 trailer that I'm going to be towing behind Mah Deuce.

Mount an RV electic stablizer jack to the rear door with an extended leg with the plate from your spare attached - push the button lower the leg - bolt on the spare - reaise it up into position.
Not sure I'm following you, but if I am, seems to me that would have to put an awful side-load on a stabilizer jack. Why not just use a small electric or manual winch?

zout

here is another - make a tube slide rail system - using spring loaded pins to insert into location holes to lock it in. Make use of the stud plate that is the lifting part of the original system - double tube like rr tracks in the back mounted vertical - the tire section would slide over these existing tubes. Then one the tire is in place - lift the lower set of legs back into the main tubes to hide them..

concept of telescopic tent poles - but larger with a slider with a tire mounted to ride the tubes.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
this is a carrier on a GAZ-66, it folds down.
I am going to try the Gaz way later this year. I asked Robo McDuff to try and get some close ups one that is not to far away from him. I was almost going to start another thread but used search and found this one. Here's another Gaz rear shot.

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
YAY for using the SEARCH successfully ! ! !

I like that one! Looks like an easy "pluck" right off the ground and up into the stowed position.

I would also like to see some close-ups of the cable mechanism and geometry.

Thanks!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks