• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Mounted Winch?

Luke

Anyone have a good setup for a rear mounted winch? I don't have a truck yet but would like a bobbed truck with pto winch up front, and some sort of winch on the back. I don't know about getting an electric winch, but was wondering if anyone knew of a dedicated engine driven winch? I am invisioning something like the front winch but powered by a dedicated Honda gasoline engine like used on lawnmowers or powerwashers. Does anyone know of a winch made to be paired to a motor like this?

I would love to have a class 5 reciever mounted on the rear of the deuce, with the crazy winch setup I am thinking of attached to it unless i need to tow something.

While I am sure it would be impractical to try and connect an actual deuce winch to a little motor, I am hoping someone knows of a commercial solution that is made for this. With my photo editing skills I have come up with a picture of what I invision.

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i want to mount the hydralic winch from a bridge truck, in the frame at the back of a 5 ton and run the hydralics off the pto as was done on the 5 ton bridge truck
I agree: running hydraulics opens up all kinds of possibilities for powering winches and other equipment. If I owned one truck and was going to keep it awhile, that is how I'd modify it.

Why not consider an electric winch? The power cables can be permanently mounted with connectors at the rear of the frame. This way you can create the same solution as the gas powered winch being considered, but with less expense and no gas motor care and feeding.

Warn and Milemarker have big 24v winches that could be used for self recovery, using at least one snatch block.

Rick

rmgill

If you have a front mounted winch, flip the PTO to power the Hydraulic pump. Then adapt the front winch to take a hydraulic motor and mount your rear winch. You'll be able to power both with hydraulics....

signman48625

Find a telpohne truck with the rear winch set up off the t-case, it is a slick set up, you can also run a sort set of jin-poles for some interesting pules and lifting.

mudguppy

i have a MileMarker SI12000 24V mounted in the rear of my deuce - works great, just relatively slow (not compared to other electric winches, just to the PTO winch). after i get the engine swap finished, i will be converting the front PTO to hydraulic drive - i have the hydraulic PTO, pump, motor, valving, and lines already spec'd and engineered.

once that's dialed in, i plan to drop another PTO winch in the rear frame and tie that into the hydo' system as well.

just...... need........ time. :roll:

dc3coyote

Hydraulic PTO and twin Hydraulic winches, would be the route I would go. Otherwise check out some of the Tatras. they have a mid mounted winch with a pully hook in the rear and the bitter end going to the front. Sorry if this does not make much sence, rough few days.

rwoods

"While I am sure it would be impractical to try and connect an actual deuce winch to a little motor, I am hoping someone knows of a commercial solution that is made for this."

Try this: Ron

12,000 lbs - Hitch Mounted Winch
Self contained vehicle mounted gas winch

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find M-49A2C Tanker Deuce rear facing PTO shaft runs off transfer case ,a couple of pillow block bearing and mt another Deuce winch between rear rails ,bracket a roller fair -lead ,and its "ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!" LOL

popacom........Bill Kagin III

:jumpin:

Anyone have a good setup for a rear mounted winch? I don't have a truck yet but would like a bobbed truck with pto winch up front, and some sort of winch on the back. I don't know about getting an electric winch, but was wondering if anyone knew of a dedicated engine driven winch? I am invisioning something like the front winch but powered by a dedicated Honda gasoline engine like used on lawnmowers or powerwashers. Does anyone know of a winch made to be paired to a motor like this?

I would love to have a class 5 reciever mounted on the rear of the deuce, with the crazy winch setup I am thinking of attached to it unless i need to tow something.

While I am sure it would be impractical to try and connect an actual deuce winch to a little motor, I am hoping someone knows of a commercial solution that is made for this. With my photo editing skills I have come up with a picture of what I invision.

A Bobbed Deuce is really front heavy. If your going to run two winches, an electric winch on the front ( only 100 lbs ) and a 5 ton winch on the rear is a slick way to do it.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get a 10,000 mile marker winch off of a hummve all you need for the Hyd is a power steering pump and you
could also run off of a pto and you control it with 24 volts . I was thing about puting one on a DUCE with a wrecker
boom that way no chain fall to mess with just hit button up or down.
AEC Retired Tony

I mounted a 45000 winch off a wrecker on the back of my m52a2 last year and it is ran off of the transfer case I can't pull a wide trailer but it pulls the m269 wrecker low boy and the m131a5c fuel trailer that is now used to carry water just fine .

buy a 13 hp wood spliter motor and hyd pump they have good pressure and could run independent of the truck motor.use quick attach hyd hoses and you could run any hyd accessorys you could think of.( pierce winches makes a20000 lb electric )

Last edited:

TaylorTradingCo

No, you cannot simply "flip" the PTO, the gears would not lign up correctly. I have seen some say that you can pull the gear and shaft and reverse them inside the housing and then do it.

A simpler option would be to get a dual output PTO. It will bolt tight onn and you can power your front winch and a rear accessory at the same time with it. I have one for sale if anyone needs it. I also have a PTO pump from an old dump truck and several Duece front winches.

I have been thinking about this myself because I would like to get a M870A1 trailer which folds down flat for self loading, but it requires a rear winch to assemble/dissassemble like the truck that TOPO has shown.

Derek Taylor

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks