• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear output PTO?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It should be noted that all the 800 series 5-tons I've seen have a non-shiftable t-case PTO. It turns any time the trans is in gear and the foot clutch is engaged. The wrecker uses the t-case PTO to power the wrecker bed and rear winch. Shifting is accomplished by use of a power divider that has neutral, power to the hyd pump for the crane, or power to the rear winch. There may be some other applications that use a t-case PTO on these trucks that are shiftable but the wrecker t-case PTO is coupled to the t-case all the time.
The m819/m246 tractor/wrecker AND the m815 bolster truck, and I beleive the hyd. lift gate m820 have a shiftable t-case pto.

Also the 900 5ts t-case pto ONLY turns in one direction because it DRIVES a hyd. pump.

Sorry about the spelling, Google Spell Check does not seem to work with the non-upgrade CHANGE

Last edited:

dstang97

I was told they make brand new dual output pto's for our trucks. The problem is they are made by Kia and are overseas

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the 900 5ts t-case pto ONLY turns in one direction because it DRIVES a hyd. pump.
If you put the trans in reverse, the M939 truck's t-case PTO will go in reverse. It won't run the hyd pump like that but it will turn backwards. The low range reverse lockout may prevent this from happening in stock form but I'm not sure (mine has been disabled).

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While talking about the PTO forward and reverse issue something came to mind. If you run a deuce t-case PTO in reverse, will the PTO lube pump work? I'm thinking yes because I think it's a piston pump but I'm not sure. I've never had one apart.