• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Passengers

Lawrence of Arabia

I searched the Forums but found nothing. Anyone have any incidents with the authorities regarding having passengers in the rear of your Deuce. I have recently let my older kids and adults ride in the back on the fold down benches and I am just waiting for someone to say it's unsafe or illegal. I have ordered seat belts to bolt on to the benches for the sake of making the kids stay seated and in one spot.

The way I look at it my Deuce is a 1966 and even though it was upfitted with front seat belts, it was built before the seat belt laws and is Grandfathered.

Interested in all comments and opinions.

mhassett

When the kids ride in mine, I drive slow, stay off the interstate and highways, and keep to less travelled roads. Never exceed 30-35 MPH, and adults ride in the back with them.

papercu

Every state has difference laws about passengers riding in back of a truck.
If you think your vehicle would be covered under some "Grandfather" law, a LEO can write a ticket for any kind of unsafe condition he thinks is valid, your only recourse would be making the judge believe you. Wayne

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well...they don't call them troop seats for nothing.....the new military vehicles (FMTV) have troop seats. The military still needs to be able to move large numbers of personnel without having to rely on buses.

If it is legal for soldiers to ride in the back of an MV it should be legal for civilians also.

The reason some states outlawed riding in the back of pickup trucks was that they were not designed to haul passengers and had no seats.

The deuce has seats in the cargo bed ergo it can legally carry passengers.

As long as you take the necessary precautions (as stated above) you should be fine.

hoop

The Key word here is "Truck". Here in VA the only Reg's that I can find are for a "pickup"....and a "pickup" is defined as less than 7500 lbs. Over 7500 lbs is a "truck" and only carries stipulations if used as a school bus, public transportation or sorts and there is a list but the "Deuce" does not fall into any of them.
Just use common sense.

zout

Here is another perspective on the issue.

You are on a hardly traveled road and nearly to yourself and for whatever reason you have to apply your brakes heavely - hard and fast.
Your passengers have no clue and go propelling forward and have bodily harm - then they seek out their own attorney ! against you.

I could go into a recent incident involving nearly the same identical set up - but I cannot for legal reasons - but all you have to do it picture a possibility for that to occur.

I surely see your point - but it is not if something could happen - it is what are you going to do if it did happen.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with ida34, he can probably give you the best perspective of Michigan laws and statutes.

CGarbee

I have a webpage that describes the seat belt law as it applies in North Carolina... It's too much info to try to cut and paste into a posting here. In general, there is no rule that I could find for a cargo truck with troop seats in it, but there is a specific section of the general statutes that pertains to hauling folks in the back of a pickup truck that looks like it may apply (using the "bed or cargo area without permanent overhead restraining construction" line from the rule on pickups).

In North Carolina, children less than age sixteen are prohibited from riding in the open bed of a pick-up truck. (NCGS §20-135.2B) An open bed or open cargo area is a bed or cargo area without permanent overhead restraining construction (unless one of anumber of exemptions listed on my website and in the general statures applies).

See:
Carrying Children in a Pickup Bed in North Carolina and the Seat Belt Law

Every state is different, and even if you are allowed to have folks in the back, it is your responsibility as the driver to make sure everyone is safe...

I just noticed that I need to update my own page... Section 6 was repealed last year. There is no longer an exemption for counties with no incorporated area with a population in excess of 3,500. The age limit was also moved from twelve to sixteen (I updated this in the text block above).

The General Statute is located at:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_20/GS_20-135.2B.html

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I searched the Forums but found nothing. Anyone have any incidents with the authorities regarding having passengers in the rear of your Deuce. I have recently let my older kids and adults ride in the back on the fold down benches and I am just waiting for someone to say it's unsafe or illegal. I have ordered seat belts to bolt on to the benches for the sake of making the kids stay seated and in one spot.

The way I look at it my Deuce is a 1966 and even though it was upfitted with front seat belts, it was built before the seat belt laws and is Grandfathered.

Interested in all comments and opinions.
I don't know that attaching seatbelts to the benches would be the best way to do it. Since the stock bench is only secured at the hinge point, it may be better to secure the belts to the floor using grade 8 bolts and fender washers. Also a way to positively secure the bench in the down position would be good. If you are off roading, or going longer distances, an additional strap or webbing running down the open spaces on the sides where the benches are in the up position would help too. I would think a small child could easily slip out the side through that gap.

Troll1216

As a LEO, former Private Investigator, and former employee of a Personal Injury Law Firm, I can tell you that you are crazy to allow ANYONE to ride in the back of the truck.

Your friends all say they wont sue until they get the medical bills or a lawyer talks to them.

If you are allowing riders I would strongly suggest that you only allow them with a signed libality waver that you have YOUR attorney draw up. If I decide to allow riders at parades when I get my truck, I will only allow it with a waver and after a meeting with a good attorney.

Just my .02

By the way, just because the military does it, does not mean that you can too, they are exempted from certain motor vehicle laws.