• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Seat install question

fpchief

Maybe i am just overthinking this. I do not see where there is info in the Operator TM, don't see it being a 2nd or 3rd echelon issue. Installing the rear seat backs, i can only find where one of the bolts line up to attach the rear seat backs. What am i missing? I do not have the short divider in and don't plan on getting one unless i have to. I am going with the 4 man soft top with the rear cargo cover. I do not remember having a divider behind the rear seats but maybe we did. i know i didnt have one in the hardbacks.

Thank you

riderdan

Are you talking about the seat backs that double as floor panels, or something else...

The rear seat panels just sit upright in a well behind the seat base and are attached with pins, not bolts. There should be a steel cable that has a pair of pins that go through the seat panels and into the truck.
rear-seat-panel.jpg

You don't really need the cargo divider, but I'm thinking about putting one into my four passenger, because there's nothing to stop whatever's in the back from making a visit to the front in a panic stop. Since I sometimes have my kids in the truck (and occasionally have my spare in the back secured only by a net) I'm definitely in the market for a four-passenger divider.

Last edited:

fpchief

exactly. I just didn't know you called those pins. I can only find a where one hole will line up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

riderdan

Yeah, only one pin when it's a seat. The seats actually overhang the rear fender on the inside, so there's no place for a pin to mount there, as you noticed.

On a side note, if you have rattling from the seat backs once they're installed, you can insert a piece of neoprene in the bottom of the well which will help. I have a 6" wide piece that I folded over the bottoms of the panels before sliding them down inside and it helped a good bit.

I also edited my above post with info about the divider, if you're interested.

Bravojmc

Yeah, only one pin when it's a seat. The seats actually overhang the rear fender on the inside, so there's no place for a pin to mount there, as you noticed.

On a side note, if you have rattling from the seat backs once they're installed, you can insert a piece of neoprene in the bottom of the well which will help. I have a 6" wide piece that I folded over the bottoms of the panels before sliding them down inside and it helped a good bit.

I also edited my above post with info about the divider, if you're interested.
Sorry but it's two pins that attach the rear seat back.

riderdan

You definitely don't have to have the partition. I don't recall any of the trucks (mostly soft-top four passenger ones) that I drove in the army having it.

papakb

The fasteners are standard DZUS fasteners and are common aircraft parts. There are normally 2 fasteners on a wire rope keeper attached to the seat back.

That partition is called a cargo divider and is not part of the standard HMMWV configuration. It was added to the 2 door trucks above the B pillar to keep material in the cargo area from sliding forward. Lots of people have cut it's width down to fit between the rear wheelhouses in the 4 door configurations.

Last edited:

Action

I havent looked in a while, but I dont remember the hole being that close to the edge. Fold the cushion forward to get the other pin in.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, commonly called Zeus fasteners. Used in off-road racing to get body parts on and off quickly.

infidel got me

Make your own divider out of your 2 man divider. Grind the 45 degree corners, measure, remove section you don't need, regrind 45 degree angle at divider, and re-weld. Now that you just saved yourself $200 ---- go buy a bunch off adult beverages!!!!:beer:back.jpgback1.jpgback.jpg Here's mine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks