• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear shaft out of tailpiece - how much?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just finished raising my M1028 five inches. Used ORD shackle flip kit and Zero-Rates on rear.

Question - the lifting of the truck caused my rear driveshaft to pull out of the transmission tailpiece an extra 1-1/2". Is this too much? How much is still left in the tailpiece? Should I order a longer drive shaft?

Thanks.

Attachments

Cucvnut

Your fine it wont fall out you have like almost 6 inches total on the yoke. I run my stock rear drive shaft on my rig I dont have issues.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it's too much. You're going to get vibrations and wear the seal out.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Superlift and other companies make spacers to fix that. Cost about $75. Looks like you need a 1 inch spacer.

robert c neth

Banned
been there done that and it tore the housing off the back of the t case ,i had my local shop make me an aluminum spacer to go between the shaft and the yoke on the rear axle .all was good.

Matt1031

The alternate (preferred IMO) fix for this problem is to install a slip yoke eliminator kit/fixed yoke conversion and have a new driveshaft made. The new driveshaft will be a splined coupling style negating the need for a slip yoke at the T-case.

It's a more expensive way to go, but it has some definite advantages.
Pros:
-Stronger than slip yoke style tailhousing
- longer spline engagement means more travel available, no worries of separation under full axle "droop" or broken tailhousing from hard "bottoming out" (hold my beer while I take this jump :shock:).
- Rear seal lasts a LOT longer because it doesn't have to contend with rust or mud anymore. No more dribbles in the garage.
-Greater selection of yokes available, allows use of heavier U-joints, or even run a flange with a CV joint.
-Truck can be run without a rear driveshaft in an emergency/limp home situation

Cons:
-Truck is no longer "original", so it's not museum restoration correct
- Requires a custom built driveshaft
- It's not the cheapest way to go