• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

rear side window removal

jag7720

Anyone have any tricks for removing the rear side windows and NOT destroying the rubber or the glass?

i bought a great set if civiy sliders and I want to install them. The rubber is in great shape ... just don't know how to get it out.

ida34

In the middle of the rubber on the outside there is a black spacer that goes around the perimeter of the window molding. You must remove it first. After you do that have someone apply light pressure on the inside and work the glass out around the edges. With the lock strip out there is room for the molding to fold out of the way. The molding stays on the top while the glass comes out. I would also have a spray bottle with soapy water handy to help lubricate the rubber. Never do it dry. There is a small metal clip that goes over the edges of the lock strip. Be careful with it. It is easy to bend out of shape. After it come off you can get at the edges of the lock strip. If the molding is too dried out it may not be flexible enough to get the window out and you will just have to cut it and get a new one. Mine was in pretty good shape so yours probably are too.

Willie G

Yes, the rubber goes back in first.
If you have some hand cleaner, like GOOP, without the added pumice, it makes a good lubricant - lubricate the entire window channel where the glass goes. You may have to use some persuasion to get the glass worked back in - there are plastic "spoons" available at glass shops that are useful to slide between the rubber and the glass to help pull the rubber into place - if you feel the need to push on the glass, I suggest the palm of your hand - gently at first since you don't want to put your hand through the glass.

Once the glass is back in the molding, you install the center strip. There is a tool specifically sold for that purpose available at most auto parts stores - it is a big help.

Good Luck!

Once you've done a few, with the proper tools, it's easy!

jag7720

ok This has been a great and quick help.. Thanks to all.... Now one last thing... that rubber piece that holds it all in.. Did you say there was a tool? Is there a way by hand? Or should I just go get the tool?

Willie G

Jag - if you can get the tool, by all means use it! Mine looks like a screwdriver handle with a T at the end that is flat metal with curved ends withholes that match the general shape of the insert. If you ask for the "Chevy windowstrip tool" they should know exactly what you mean - I'd suggest starting at NAPA, then A-zone, Checker, etc. I was also able to get the plastic spoons at NAPA for about $3 each.

I forgot to mention that an extra pair of hands can be helpful, too.

To be honest, the first time can be a vocabulary builder.... :-D

jag7720

Well, they didn't have THE tool but a upholstery puller tool worked well... It looks like a weed puller.

I got the first one in after finding that there was that lock in rubber strip. After I took that out it all went together... and my vocab didn't grow because my kids were "helping" me... otherwise it would have.

Thanks for all the help!

ida34

Glad it worked out. One of my M1009s came with the slider windows but one was broken. I had a spare solid window so now I have one slider and one solid. I just need to find a good driver's side slider.