• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Spring Swap hints M1008/1028

Anyone have tips on how to remove/replace the rear springs on a 1008/1028? Specifically how to access the nut on the forward end of the spring?

The rest is easy... except for how to lift the new springpacks up by myself (9+K3500 overload+zerorate with K3500 3 leaf helper = almost 180#) without dropping them while I use one hand to hold and the other to place the bolt...

I have 5 hours to get both rear packs changed, hand tools, on the roadside.

MarcusOReallyus

The rest is easy... except for how to lift the new springpacks up by myself (9+K3500 overload+zerorate with K3500 3 leaf helper = almost 180#) without dropping them while I use one hand to hold and the other to place the bolt...
The truck is on jackstands, right? So use a floor jack to lift the spring pack.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why are you changing spring packs roadside, with hand tools and a short window to do so?

Bottle jack. I'd really have to lift the truck high to get the jack under the axle and springs but I'm thinking if I do one side at at time and remount the springs on the axle then lift with the jack under one end of the spring, the other side would keep from twisting.

Truck is a long way from home and not allowed to fix on company property so have it on a side street. 12 hr shifts so 5 hrs at a time is all I can do without getting to tired for work next day. I suppose if do one side at a time I could drive a short distance lopsided...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks