• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Winch On Bobbed Deuce

jgusler

Has anyone mounted a rear winch on a bobbed duece the same as its mounted on the front?The duece has a straight frame so it looks to me like you could use the upper & lower winch mounts and brackets on the rear the same as the front.It looks like the rear transfer pto would mount in a straight line if you flipped the frame cross members for clearence so the cut out is upward to clear the winch driveshaft. The garwood winch can be taken apart and the worm gear flipped for either side operation,Just wondering,it would be so nice to have the winch at the rear of the bed!

yamabro

This is a common mod, I'm pondering doing also. I've spoke to the guys at Boyce Equip. and they have done this mod for several customers. They are pretty informative. Give them a shout, ask for Mark 801-393-0007

jgusler

I would like to mount mine in the front of the bed but the winch would have to wind from the top not the bottom to clear the inside of the bed with a heavy duty roller fairlead mounted to the rear of the bed.Which way does the rear t-case pto spin and also which way would the winch retreive if mounted in that position?I want to use my forward gears to power the winch and the single speed reverse gear to release or free spool if possible.( I dont need 5 speeds to reverse the cable).If It wont work powered from the top, than I will just put it to the far back of the bed so direction doesnt matter!

Troll1216

Has anyone thought about going electrical with 24v or hydro with a modern power steering pump rigged up?

I might try the hydro up front and a 24v in the back...... need funds for toys.......

A

A/C Cages

I think it was caveman trucks who had a winch mounted into the rear frame of his bobbed deuce in place of the pintle hook. It looked really good placed there too.

sewerzuk

Has anyone thought about going electrical with 24v or hydro with a modern power steering pump rigged up?

I might try the hydro up front and a 24v in the back...... need funds for toys.......
I have a Warn 18 series 24v winch mounted under the bed on my deuce; I'll try to snap some pics later today.
The winch is mounted against the first crossmember. There is 1 roller fairlead on the winch itself, and another fairlead on the back of the frame where the cable exists the truck (Its right where the factory pintle hook was)

Chief_919

I have a Ramsey 10k PTO winch sitting here in the shop, and a local guy doing a bob job has been in 4-5 times for measurements to see if it will work for doing this.

He can't seem to make up his mind if he wants PTO or electric.

whyme

it has crossed my mind to do the same, id have to go with the 20k if i did it but the cost of the PTO is inhibiting and kind of a pain, preferably id love it converted to hydo but that cost is also very inhibiting.

the 20k because i can virtually hide it under if i raise the bed off the frame rails a bit and has the rollers, not to mention the added weight would be great in the winter around here.

Edit: and the 20k when mounted reversed as it would be if mounted on the back would put the input shaft inline with the PTO (if you don't have a front mount and you use the tyranny PTO or dual output PTO) i think the same for the T-case PTO as well but not positive. the 10K has the input shaft on the left so it would end up on the right and require more work.

Last edited:

cruzinz28

Rear PTO w/ shift Linkage... check
20,000 lbs. winch off a 5 ton truck... check
Time to pull bed and start conversion... maybe after the Gilbert Show this fall

The only real task that I see fabrication wise when using the 5 ton winch under the bed in the rear is the engage lever will need to be modified to keep it all under the bed. My thoughts were to make my own handle/ linkage that relocated it to the outside of the frame rail just under the edge of the bed where it would be easy to access.

whyme

My thoughts were to make my own handle/ linkage that relocated it to the outside of the frame rail just under the edge of the bed where it would be easy to access.
dito but id look into an air actuated cylinder to operate it from the cab and use the handle as a backup. this way you can disengage and drive forward while you free spool, stop, lock it back in, and drag your load forward if you like without anyone near the tire or reaching under the bed.

dito but id look into an air actuated cylinder to operate it from the cab and use the handle as a backup. this way you can disengage and drive forward while you free spool, stop, lock it back in, and drag your load forward if you like without anyone near the tire or reaching under the bed.
I used the stock ( front winch PTO ) lever and made linkage to the transfer case PTO. Works great. Even kept the original lockout plate on it for safety.

joshuaz223

personally if i was adding a rear winch i would just convert them both to hydro. much easier to operate. i have had a few winches that i powered with powersteering pumps and all i can say is never again. they make special powersteering pumps for this application but the price is retarded.

spicergear

There's room to put a 20,000lb Garwood with roller fairlead up under behind the pintle hook. The tapered sides of the fairlead are almost the same angle as the two angled braces going to the pintle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks