• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear winch warning

Csm Davis

Don't pull more than 14,500 lbs single line. This is for 816. This is straight out of the TM.
The 936 shouldn't pull more than 16,500 or 17,000 lbs single line according to the dataplate. Yes the winch can pull 45,000 but the safe will of the cable and chain cannot.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Guys, take a look at the cable load charts below, the 5-1 ratio is for over head use, the 3 1/5-1 ratio is for winch work, this chart is for NEW wire rope with a WIRE core, a fiber core (which our front winches have) cable has less SWL loading then shown, so just because someone has a 45,000 lg , a 20,000 lb, or a 10,000 lb winch, DOES NOT mean you can put this on the cable.

The factor of safety for all fibre ropes is 5. For ropes used to hoist or support personnel, it is 10.

As a example a 45,000 lb rear wrecker winch uses 3/4" steel core cable, it has a breaking strength of 58.000 lbs NEW, so with a bit of use, maybe a bit of corrosion, I can see that 58,000 down to maybe 50,000, now with a bit of OVERLOAD, a bit of rub wear, maybe a minor kink, ect. I can see that 50,000 down to 40,000, with things getting WORSE every time the winch is used, the above example is WHY there IS a SAFE WORKING LOAD (SWL) ratio
There IS a reason for snatch blocks and one of the MAIN reasons for those double, 3/4" snatch blocks from he11 that the wreckers carry (nothing else has the springs to carry them around)

You want to put a SWL of 45,000 on a winch cable, go to 1 1/4" cable

You SUPER winchers that think that because you have a HIGH pull winch and can/do hook up and pull to the winches MAX ARE going to hurt/kill somebody, tore up iron can be fixed, losing a body part or death CAN NOT

http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/lifting/winches/wireropechart.htm

Fiber core load chart, notice the difference in the two charts
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-rope-strength-d_1518.html

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a lot to learn. Is there any TM on the operation of wreckers? I need to learn all about using the winch and boom properly.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've broken a 3/4 line in good shape with one of these winches. It was a pretty good pull so I was standing clear when it happened. I don't know what the load on the line was but it was beyond the breaking strength of the cable.

M1075

I've broken a 3/4 line in good shape with one of these winches. It was a pretty good pull so I was standing clear when it happened. I don't know what the load on the line was but it was beyond the breaking strength of the cable.
How exactly can you stand clear of the line if the controls are on the wrecker? I have always wondered about this!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How exactly can you stand clear of the line if the controls are on the wrecker? I have always wondered about this!
It's a rear winch off of a wrecker but it's actually mounted behind the cab of a KW truck and driven hydraulically.