• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear Window Handle Keeps Destroying Self

SGT LongT

A little background first. I replaced a broken window regulator, pawl, and window handle a few months back. I haven't had any problems opening or closing the window, until yesterday. I started to lower the window and a couple of inches down the handle started rotating freely. I then rotated the handle in the opposite direction and was able to get the window up. I put my key in the lock, but the cylinder did not want to rotate. After a fair amount of jiggling and turning the whole cylinder came out. I took a look inside and saw the pawl and spring not sitting correctly. I thought this might just be the lock cylinder and pawl spring combo getting out of alignment some how, but when I took the handle/crank assembly out I found broken bits and yet another broken handle. The pawl and handle were purchased from Saturn Surplus and not LMC.

So my main question. Is this an inherent design flaw that I can look forward to fixing time and time again or is this just a bad part?

In the pictures below the handle on the left is the original and the one on the right is the replacement part from Saturn. The both failed in the same place.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, they ALL get their replacement parts (that I'm aware of) from a CHINESE supplier that uses pot metal that might be less than ideal for the application...

the BEST thing to do is find someone that has a working one and purchase that (or a junk yard reclaimation), which is what I've done in the past.

unfortunately, NEW parts for these trucks are all coming out of china and they are literally

C R @ P ...

2cents

mistaken1

So my main question. Is this an inherent design flaw that I can look forward to fixing time and time again or is this just a bad part?
Who puts a glass window in the middle of a truck tailgate?

If GM would have eliminated the stupid semi-removable fiberglass top they could have put a top hinged hatch or double doors on the blazer allowing normal humans to access the back without having lean/crawl over a truck tailgate sticking out 2+ feet.

I love my M1009 but I have to ask the GM engineers and managers "What were you thinking?"

Grega

Have you checked the window tracks. The felt in the channels may have worn down and caused the window to bind somewhat. That may lead to the handle breaking, which is the weakest part. As far as handles go. I dont know if the GM handles are better than the other after market stuff. I bought mine off e-bay and had the local body shop put the key mechanism together. Seams to be holding up so far. But I installed new felt in the tracks, cleaned and lubed the regulator, guides, and installed new weatherstrip. Seams the water and dirt gets down there and dries stuff up. The guy at the body shop said that back in the day, he changed a fair share of crank handles and regulators.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That has been an issue with CUCV's since they rolled off the line......I wish I had a buck for every dirt road I drove down with choking dust pouring in through the back window.

It was designed by an idiot after consulting with a group of morons.

Just one more reason for me not to own one.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wreckerman893,

that's only true of the M1009 - the other CUCV's are basically pickup trucks and do not suffer this problem

but yeah, if you own an older truck like the Blazer/Suburban or Bronco that has the rear window that rolls down, chances are good that it will have problems with the rear windows staying up. UNLESS you have rebuilt it. it will have issues staying up. IF it does stay up, it will NOT roll down.

great hobby, full of challenges

Fleg

If GM would have eliminated the stupid semi-removable fiberglass top they could have put a top hinged hatch or double doors on the blazer allowing normal humans to access the back without having lean/crawl over a truck tailgate sticking out 2+ feet.

I love my M1009 but I have to ask the GM engineers and managers "What were you thinking?"

They could have asked Jeep who has building Fiberglass hard tops WITH back windows for a long time that don't roll up and down.

Or asked Wreckerman and listen to him boast how he would never own one over, and over, and over, and over again.