• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rear window question before ordering parts...

QuickSilver

Before I order parts to fix my rear window issue, I wanted to check with some of you who have done this before. My rear window crank works, sort of, when and if it wants to. It catches, then free spins, then catches, almost as if something is stripped out. I'm guessing one of the "ears" on the inside of the crank is busted off. I haven't actually pulled the whole thing apart yet, because I have to drive it every day and would like to have parts on hand first if possible. I can't see anything wrong with the regulator itself when I pull the access panel off of the back of the tail gate. So what do you guys think? Will a replacement crank typically fix things up?

ssdvc

LMC or try JC Whitney. JC has a lot of brand name stuff for less.

cmroles

I got the enitre kit from LMC...no problems since..works great!
Did the crank come chrome or black? I've looked at their catalog but it doesn't seem to say.

I also called my local Chevy dealer and found out that the window crank is still available as a special order part. It costs a bit more ($60) but I like the idea of an OEM replacement versus aftermarket reproduction...

mistaken1

Looking through the LMC catalog, and I don't see a "kit". I'm guessing I just need parts 1 through 7 off this page? LMC Truck Parts - Page 32

You can skip 2 if your seal is in good shape and 3 if you do not want to change keys for the back window.

I do not think you can get anything but chrome. The chrome one I installed matches the chrome one the national guard had installed before I got the truck.

Who puts a window in the middle of a truck tailgate?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

camoyj7

Thanks clinto I have read that one and all the posts I could find and still can't find what holds the lock in. I see how it all works but the lock just slids out. It will kind of stay in if its locked but as soon as I unlock it it fall right out.

SGT Estum

I think I'm better at Rubiks Cube than Rear Window Lock Cylinder.

That said, I did manage to get mine changed out and inserted correctly such that it doesn't just fall out. The lock cylinder itself is held in (somehow) with the pawl and pawl spring.

When you insert the lock cylinder and monkey with it a bit, it will feel like it has "clicked in" to position when in fact it probably isn't in all the way yet. What you need to do is get it fully seated by pressing in the pawl in to the correct depth while rotating the lock cylinder (with the key in). Monkey around with it for a while, say some four letter words, and eventually it will seat correctly.

After that, hold on to it carefully. If the pawl slides back it can ruin all of your hard work. Hold the pawl in its position as you slide the clutch over the whole mechanism. The clutch is what holds the pawl forward so that the lock cylinder cannot escape. Lastly, insert the clip to retain the clutch.

I recommend doing a full function check after you think you've got it together before putting too much back together. While you're in there, blast the regulator with some white lithium grease and put some new felt (or felt alternative) on your glass channels. I did this and my window functions like new.

Good luck!

lnnayers

Did the crank come chrome or black? I've looked at their catalog but it doesn't seem to say.

I also called my local Chevy dealer and found out that the window crank is still available as a special order part. It costs a bit more ($60) but I like the idea of an OEM replacement versus aftermarket reproduction...

you will be disapointed with the one from the dealer. back then you could buy all those pieces seperatly, the "crank" will be the piece that folds and hot the whole assembly. i believe the lock cylinder is held by an E clip on the back side of the piece called the clutch. the clutch is not service by gm, and the last time i looked lmc didnt have it either.

edpdx

I bought the lock cylinder from the M1009 guy on eBay. The window crank assembly was pretty complete; but it was only available in chrome- ebay also, different guy. Judicious sanding and priming with self-etching primer, then Black or green, if you like. The chrome one will take more maintenance; but it seems to do a fine job. The clutch seems to be the problem, just get one from the M1009 ebay guy, he usually has them listed. Assembly is pretty intuitive- take pics to help remember.

emr

fyi, I have one rear window for a mil blazer and like 5 rear side windows, pm me if anyone is interested, i can bring to aberdeen... :) oh and a slider rear window for the pick up new in mil box too...