• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rears ?

REDWOLF

Well I have a 14 bolt rear out of a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup for the back of my M1009. Just need to fight out what I should use up front. Any thoughts? Thanks. I intend to eventually put a six inch lift and 37 inch tires.

REDWOLF

That's what I was thinking. The 14 bolt for the rear is heavy. But would need a front out of a 1 ton. I guess. Not a duely, but a single wheel 1 ton.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the intended purpose of the truck? If its not going to be heavily trashed off road, an 8 lug out of a 3/4 ton will be fine. I paid under $500 for a 14b rear and matching 10B front with 4.10 gears. You can always swap to the 60F later or if you break a 10B.

REDWOLF

I think the 10 bolt 3/4 ton front end would be fine for what I want to do with my 1009. My 14 bolt is at my dad's house, will look at it when I am down there this Friday. What is the difference in the 14 bolts?

idM1028

The full float 14 bolt is what is used in the bigger trucks (the 1008's, 1028's, etc. which of course, are built on 1 ton frames) From what I've seen, the semi float 14 bolt was typically used in 3/4 ton trucks. Easiest way to tell them apart is the hub assembly. In the first pic, you can tell the axle is a full float 14 bolt by the axle tube cover which is secured on with 8 bolts. In the second pic, you can tell the axle is a semi float 14 bolt due to a lack thereof. It basically looks like a 10 bolt on steroids.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

The 14FF was used in the SRW 1 tons and the heavy GVWR 3/4 tons. Prior to 198...2 I think...all 3/4 tons got the 14FF. After that the "regular" 3/4 tons got the 14SF.

Those are the 8 lug axles. After the square body 73-87 body style things changed a bit including 6 and 5 lug 14SF's in addition to the 8 lug 14SF's and 14FF.

REDWOLF

The 14 bolt i have is a 8 lug. It is a semi floater not a full floater still heavy enough for what i need. Just need to find me a good 10 bolt front rear.

Firejareen

From my experiance and I may be wrong.. but any Chevy D60 will work. The only difference in the width is the outer hubs. A duelly would have the duelly hubs to bring the front width to match the rear. To use a dually D60, all you would have to do is obtain some standard width hubs and swap them on. When I say hubs I am not refering to the lockouts. This is a simple swap. Pull the lockouts, pull the bearings and the hubs slide off. Then replace with the standard width. Good to go. If you have a D60 already then you are golden.

ODdave

The 14 bolt i have is a 8 lug. It is a semi floater not a full floater still heavy enough for what i need. Just need to find me a good 10 bolt front rear.
IMO, I wouldnt bother with looking for a 60 to go with that rear axle.

If I where you I would find a 6 lug version of that axle you have (9.5 metric 14 bolt) and swap that in. Leave the front axle alone seing how there will be nothing gained by swaping to a 3/4 ton front other than a lil bigger brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks