• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rearview mirror=4, Travo=0

mr.travo

Ok, so I have been fighting with my rearview mirror the last few weeks. I have tried all sorts of different glues. I sand the glue side of the button and use an alcohol wipe for the button and glass. I then apply the glue and hold for 1 to 2 mins. I have been doing it in the morning and letting it dry to 12+ hours before hanging the mirror.

It fell down again today (lasted for 3 days) on my way home and i got ticked and stopped at Tractor Supply. I found I glue product that glues glass, metal, plastic and whatnot. I currently have it drying and 24 hours from now, we will see how many days or weeks this one lasts. I doubt it will hold though.

I guess I am posting this up here because it's one of those irritants that makes me want to punch a hole in the fuel tank and set it on fire. I love PITA but she needs some work and I get the feeling that she doesn't want to be fixed.

What do you guys use? Please let me know any tips or tricks that I am not doing.

Thanks!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the locktite brand rear view mirror adhesive. Perhaps sanding the puck created a problem. The parts houses have the pucks.

jaxsof

I hope you're using rearview mirror cement. If you can find it, 3M makes a great version. thoroughly clean the glass, and take a little crokus cloth and scuff (VERY LIGHTLY) the area where youre going to place the slug. If you are too energetic with the sanding, the glue can take a chunk of windshield off. Also, dont get distracted, and put the slug on with the large side against the glass. It will not come off, or hold the mirror.

Make sure all remnants of the old glue are gone, too. A razor blade works well for this.

Disciple

HA! I think I've got one even better. Don't mean to poke fun, but mine has been a massive PITA too. I reached up to adjust mine a few months back and the darn thing snapped right off in my hand. Only, it wasn't the glue that failed, THE GLASS BEHIND THE PUCK actually just cratered and came right off with it!!! Talk about irritating. It didn't crack the glass or do any other damage, but now I have a hole in my windshield roughly half the thickness of the glass and about an inch across! How does this even happen!?!? I stopped by O'Reilly auto parts and just grabbed their rearview mirror windshield cement stuff, followed the instructions, and even taped the puck up for a day. Went to put the mirror back on and SNAP! DID IT AGAIN!!!! Now I have a 2" wide "hole" that is about as deep as half the thickness of the glass. Talk about irritating! I think I've given up. I don't want to push my luck and spiderweb the windshield. So, my solution: mirror rides on the seat next to me. I use my side-views as much as possible and when I really need a rear view, I hold it up with one hand while steering with the other.

O'Reilly's cement stuff off the shelf is strong enough to break your windshield... Again!

I think I'm just going to fab up a new bracket and weld the stupid thing to the ceiling!

Last edited:

K9Vic

I had my RVM fall of twice, once just after I bought it and again after I reglued it. After it fell the second time I just drove with it off for like 7 months, never was stopped. I is required in Texas for any vehicle that has a rear window, so my M1010 does not need one as it is a box van with no rear window. I guess I was just lucky all that time as I have had cops behind me many times both at night and day.

But anyways as of 2 months now my RVM has been holding. I cleaned the area with a razor blade and used carb cleaner to dry it. Waited a few hours and installed a new puck with RVM glue and followed the instructions. I also waited until the next day to put the mirror on. So I think it may have to do with the preparation as the first time I just reglued the puck and did not clean it properly.

mr.travo

I have been cleaning the old stuff off with a razor blade and sand paper. I haven't been sanding the windshield though. I then have been applying the rubbing alcohol, letting it dry for 10 or so mins and then applying to both pieces and holding for a couple of mins.

The crap I used last night failed like no other. It wasn't a RVM glue but I thought I would give it a try. I bought the Car Quest stuff today and glued it. I will wait until tomorrow afternoon to hang the mirror. If this fails, I WILL be screwing it to the ceiling and just running it that way. I have already dropped $20 or so on all the different kinds that have been an epic fail.

Disciple- I feel your pain!!! I think you do have it worse than me. I guess this glass is just plain old. I just don't want to fork over the money to get it replaced.

Anyway- if I have to fasten it to the ceiling, I will fab something up and post pictures for anyone else as frustrated as I am about and want to relocated it.

Travo
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members/disciple.html

48cj2a

Put many RVMs on when I worked at the dealership. Locktite and 3M kits were always used. razor the old off, use the cleaner primer in the kit and then reglue holding it for the specified time. Always worked for me.

mr.travo

Well, I think this brand was permatec. We will see. This time I gobbed it on and figured I could always razor a little overage if it bled any. Of course this time I put it on a hair canted, so with my luck, this will be the time it works! LOL!!

Oh well though. I can be a little OCD about the interior. I am sure no one would ever notice unless I pointed it out. I am the guy that people like to bring to look at a used truck. I can point out every little thing that has been touched outside of the assembly line. [thumbzup]